Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on two recent deliquencies from closed account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice on two recent deliquencies from closed account

I had a JetBlue card that was transferred from AMEX to Barclay in April. I contacted Barclay in April to close the card and have the annual fee (which occurred in March) waived. I just found out today that the card was never closed and I have 2 late payment/delinquencies on my credit report, and my score dropped about 90 (from around 730 to 640) . The late payments were from the annual fee and related late fees and interests totalling around $180. The account has recently been closed by the bank due to continued missed payments.

Barclay said they will locate the call recording to see if they failed to close my account, and won't be able to do anything if they don't find satisfactory proof that it is their fault. Assuming they are unwilling/unable to do anything, what should I do with the late payments and deliquencies? My proirty is obviously reducing the impact it has on my credit score further, or ideally recover it a bit. Prior to these two, I had no deliquencies on my credit history.

Appreciate any advice =)

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Advice on two recent deliquencies from closed account

It is a billing related issue on a revolving account, and is thus subject to the dispute provisions of the Fair Credit Billing Act (FCBA).

I would file a dispute under the FCBA, which is more comprehensive in requirements than a dispute of resulting credit reporting under the FCRA.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

bertRe: Advice on two recent deliquencies from closed account

Hi Robert,

I heard back from Barclaycard tonight that they have waived all the fees and corrected the delinquencies on my credit report. However I really appreciate the information and it's good to know that issues like these fall under the FCBA.

Thanks!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.