cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Affidavit for innacurate information from CheckSmart?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Affidavit for innacurate information from CheckSmart?

My husband has a collection account on his CR from CheckSmart, who he had loans in the past from. He swears that he paid them all off in full and does not know where this balance could be from. I know an ex employee of CheckSmart who told me that they have had a tendency not to mark their loans paid off in their system. Not sure if this is true, but interesting. We've communicated with CheckSmart several times and they are unable to send any real proof of the debt. They sent a letter stating an amount was delinquent but no other information whatsoever on where it came from. They did state in an email that the origination date was 2014 but that doesn't match the date on CR collection account, showing the opened date of the loan (or collection?) being 2017 (3 years later?!). So, after talking to them over the phone they want us to claim identity fraud and fill out an affidavit and police report. Does this seem right? The debt seems so obviously false to me. Seems like we're just getting the run around from the company. We've already tried disputing with CRAs. Equifax removed it, Transunion won't (which needs most improvement), and it doesn't show on Experian. 

Should we just fill out the affidavit and police report as the next step? Or perhaps try sending proof of the mismatched dates to TU?

Also, is it not weird that there was never an account on CR from CheckSmart? 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Medic981
Valued Contributor

Re: Affidavit for innacurate information from CheckSmart?

How much is the OC/CA stating your DH owes? Has 30 days passed since you received the dunning notice (I am assuming yes since you disputed this with the CRAs) and if not have you sent a debt validation letter?

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Affidavit for innacurate information from CheckSmart?

$600 is the amount. And really there was never any notice or communication except for what we have initiated. The CA hasn't really tried to collect the debt but they provided the affidavit and instructions (that was in May 2018). They did send what I assume was a dunning notice last year (after disputing with CRAs), but that was the notice that gave no information except the amount. OC was unable to look into it when DH called them. We did send a validation letter last year before disputing with CRAs and got the notice after that, which just isn't enough proof being that it only states the amount.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.