Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Afraid to pay off any more of my debt.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Afraid to pay off any more of my debt.

I have been paying down my debt as my home closing date approaches.    I recently paid down several of my CC and paid off my truck. 

These items are starting to report.  The 1st of which was a $600 reduction on my Best Buy card.  

Dropped my score 7 points 786 - 779   I paid off the balance of 21k on my truck and 4500 on other cards.   Now I am worried it will futher drop my score and move me to a new higher interest rate.  

Credit ratings are random and a scam. 

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Afraid to pay off any more of my debt.

Why not just wait til you close on your home before lowering debt? If your scores are as high as 786, you can afford to wait🤔

Message 2 of 14
RSX
Valued Contributor

was the truck your only loan?  if so, your score will drop because of this

no way to affect it now, since it is done, but if you do have another loan - pay it down to 9% only - dont pay it off

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 3 of 14
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@RSX wrote:

no way to affect it now, since it is done, but if you do have another loan - pay it down to 9% only - dont pay it off

+1

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not my only loan,  i have one more loan that guess i will keep.  

The rub is my lender required these payoffs for get the the DTI ratio they wanted. 

Paid down over 80k in debt to have my score go down sucks. 

Message 5 of 14
RSX
Valued Contributor

ok - if you can pay down your last loan to under 8.9%, you will see a score jump 

you are using fico scores correct? not vantage?

and look up AZEO for your credit cards - it is well documented on this forum 

these 2 moves will maximize your score, as everything else is good it sounds like

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 6 of 14
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have been paying down my debt as my home closing date approaches.    I recently paid down several of my CC and paid off my truck. 

These items are starting to report.  The 1st of which was a $600 reduction on my Best Buy card.  

Dropped my score 7 points 786 - 779   I paid off the balance of 21k on my truck and 4500 on other cards.   Now I am worried it will futher drop my score and move me to a new higher interest rate.  

Paying down Best Buy did NOT cause the point drop.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Once you get past the mortgage situation, finish paying off your debt and don't worry about score. Less debt is always better than more debt.

Message 8 of 14
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Paying down Best Buy did NOT cause the point drop.

+1

@Anonymous how long ago was your credit pulled for the mortgage? Mortgage inquiries don't effect your score until the "rate shopping" period is over. 

Message 9 of 14
Yankee2
Regular Contributor

@RSX wrote:

I don't agree.

I had my only loan a car loan (balance $17,500 of original $22,800) I paid the rest off in one chunk. My score jumped 17 points (799-816)

I believe it has to do with total debt to credit dropped. (even though it doesn't affect credit card utilization) 

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.