Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alert: US SM BUS ADMIN ODA recently checked your credit report

tag
Chestnut1
Regular Contributor

Alert: US SM BUS ADMIN ODA recently checked your credit report

All -- If you see this alert on your credit report, Take it seriously. 

So i found this Inquiry on my Experian credit report this morning. It was and odd Inquiry and one can say it right off the bat. 

1. So i Quickly called Experian (855-246-9409) and told them that it was not me. They went ahead and 1) froze my credit 2) marked this inquiry as fraud 3) set up Credit alerts for future. This alert is important becuase every time there is an inquiry, this will alert the lender to be more diligent. It also lets us know about it at the same time. 
  2. Called TransUnion (800-916-8800) and placed a freeze on my credit report.
  3. Called Equifax (888-548-7878) and placed a Freeze on my Credit .

Next, I called the SBA.gov on (817-868-2300) and let them know what happened. To my surprise, they told me that someone applied for a $58K loan just yesterday using my details but with one of my very old addresses. The Loan has not been approved. Lucky me, I reached them on time. They put a hold on that loan application and sent a note to their Fraud department to cancel the loan request and investigate. FYI, talking to SBA.gov folks has been very pleasant and super fast.

https://www.sba.gov/content/disaster-assistance-processing-disbursement-center

Stay Safe and stay vigilant.

11/10/18 EX: 540 TU: 525 EQ: 535
10/20/19 EX: 671 TU: 665 EQ: 671
11/07/19 EX: 676 TU: 673 EQ: 676
12/31/19 EX: 669 TU: 679 EQ: 673
01/06/20 EX: 670 TU: 682 EQ: 682
Paid Charge off to $0 in Dec 2019, reported Jan 2020
01/15/20 EX: 666 TU: 655 EQ: 660
02/07/20 EX: 676 TU: 668 EQ: 668
05/08/20 EX: 685 TU: 685 EQ: 682
05/18/20 EX: 690 TU: 685 EQ: 682
03/16/21 EX: 702 TU: 697 EQ: 700
04/20/21 EX: 705 TU: 700 EQ: 702
04/19/22 EX: 716 TU: 705 EQ: 716

Mortgage Middle Score 682 (Old)
Mortgage Middle Score 706 (New)
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
sarge12
Senior Contributor

Re: Alert: US SM BUS ADMIN ODA recently checked your credit report

@Chestnut1 wrote:

All -- If you see this alert on your credit report, Take it seriously. 

So i found this Inquiry on my Experian credit report this morning. It was and odd Inquiry and one can say it right off the bat. 

1. So i Quickly called Experian (855-246-9409) and told them that it was not me. They went ahead and 1) froze my credit 2) marked this inquiry as fraud 3) set up Credit alerts for future. This alert is important becuase every time there is an inquiry, this will alert the lender to be more diligent. It also lets us know about it at the same time. 
  2. Called TransUnion (800-916-8800) and placed a freeze on my credit report.
  3. Called Equifax (888-548-7878) and placed a Freeze on my Credit .

Next, I called the SBA.gov on (817-868-2300) and let them know what happened. To my surprise, they told me that someone applied for a $58K loan just yesterday using my details but with one of my very old addresses. The Loan has not been approved. Lucky me, I reached them on time. They put a hold on that loan application and sent a note to their Fraud department to cancel the loan request and investigate. FYI, talking to SBA.gov folks has been very pleasant and super fast.

https://www.sba.gov/content/disaster-assistance-processing-disbursement-center

Stay Safe and stay vigilant.

Thanks...do you know if this is a wide spread issue, or is it just an isolated attempt against your identity. If anyone else has had this happen as well, please let us all know. What I mean is the US SM BUS ADMIN inquiry a new wide spread scam?

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 2 of 21
Chestnut1
Regular Contributor

Looks like it is happening quite often and with others too. A quick Google/Reddit with this subject will let you know

11/10/18 EX: 540 TU: 525 EQ: 535
10/20/19 EX: 671 TU: 665 EQ: 671
11/07/19 EX: 676 TU: 673 EQ: 676
12/31/19 EX: 669 TU: 679 EQ: 673
01/06/20 EX: 670 TU: 682 EQ: 682
Paid Charge off to $0 in Dec 2019, reported Jan 2020
01/15/20 EX: 666 TU: 655 EQ: 660
02/07/20 EX: 676 TU: 668 EQ: 668
05/08/20 EX: 685 TU: 685 EQ: 682
05/18/20 EX: 690 TU: 685 EQ: 682
03/16/21 EX: 702 TU: 697 EQ: 700
04/20/21 EX: 705 TU: 700 EQ: 702
04/19/22 EX: 716 TU: 705 EQ: 716

Mortgage Middle Score 682 (Old)
Mortgage Middle Score 706 (New)
Message 3 of 21
barca
Regular Contributor

good you caught it on time.

As a general rule - try to freeze all your credit report 24/7, except when you want to apply.

With so many online theft and hacking going on - I still wonder why people still leave thier credit report open.

Message 4 of 21
hawkins
Frequent Contributor

Happened to me too last year. I also spent some time on the phone with the SBA. Fortunately nothing was paid out as I caught it in time. Insane people out there. 

Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@barca wrote:

As a general rule - try to freeze all your credit report 24/7, except when you want to apply.

With so many online theft and hacking going on - I still wonder why people still leave thier credit report open.

We leave them open because these companies can't figure out how to make freezes work right. A number of us have had issues with both TU and EQ not wanting to lift the freeze and EX often will not even let you add one and says it's for security reasons but won't tell you why. 

Anyway, glad that you were able to nip this in the bud @Chestnut1 it definitely could have been a lot more work to deal with!

Message 6 of 21
babygirl1256
Senior Contributor

Wow, glad you were able to catch it in time and STOP the loan process . . . could have been a huge headache in the future!!!

Starting FICO 8 Score in 06/2019: EQ-625, TU-649, EX-640
Current FICO 8 Score in 06/2021: EQ-796, TU-806, EX-812
Goal FICO 8 Score in 06/2022: EQ-825, TU-850, EX-850
Message 7 of 21
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@barca wrote:

@barca- are you suggesting that the entire US population that has access to their reports have them completely locked/frozen?  That's almost like saying... with so many pedestrian crosswalk accidents - I still wonder why people use a crosswalk.

Message 8 of 21
barca
Regular Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@barca wrote:

@barca- are you suggesting that the entire US population that has access to their reports have them completely locked/frozen?  That's almost like saying... with so many pedestrian crosswalk accidents - I still wonder why people use a crosswalk.

@FinStar I don't get your point.

if you use a crosswalk and you are green to go - if a car hits you, at least the law is fully on your side, as supposed to jaywalking.

if your credit is frozen, at least you have done your own part to minimize theft.

when scammers send email to people asking for them to help move some money - if the entire population knows it is a scam - the scammers willl be out of business.

but some part of the population will still communicate with the scammers. 

The part of that population you choose is your choice and how informed you are

At the end, it is your choice if your report is frozen or not.

I just don't see how the advantages of your report opened will outweigh the hassles of credit fraudulently taken in  your name.

Maybe some decades ago, there was not much online theft, but these days it is too rampant not to advise people to take proactive action

Maybe you can clarify what you are trying to imply.

Message 9 of 21
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@barca wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@barca wrote:

@FinStar I don't get your point.

if you use a crosswalk and you are green to go - if a car hits you, at least the law is fully on your side, as supposed to jaywalking.

if your credit is frozen, at least you have done your own part to minimize theft.

when scammers send email to people asking for them to help move some money - if the entire population knows it is a scam - the scammers willl be out of business.

but some part of the population will still communicate with the scammers. 

The part of that population you choose is your choice and how informed you are

At the end, it is your choice if your report is frozen or not.

I just don't see how the advantages of your report opened will outweigh the hassles of credit fraudulently taken in  your name.

Maybe some decades ago, there was not much online theft, but these days it is too rampant not to advise people to take proactive action

Maybe you can clarify what you are trying to imply.

The point is, even with a green light, pedestrians using the crosswalk (by right of way) still get hit -- that's my point.  It will still happen regardless if the law is on your side.  The law doesn't eliminate accidents from happening.  It be like that sometimes.

Also, it's 2021 and heading into 2022.  You would think that by now given all levels of sophistication in fraud prevention measures that scammers would be out of business, right?  Well, they aren't.  It's a lucrative billion dollar business worldwide.  The industry does its best to keep ahead of the curve, but frankly there will always be new levels of sophistication that fraudsters will come up to prey on innocent individuals and circumvent most security safeguards and protocols. 

And, while information is key to prevention, it doesn't always cascade to everyone even with as much social media presence and channels.

And, as you pointed out, even with you heeding caution and/or proactiveness, it's up to individuals to make those choices themselves.

At any rate - back on topic to the OP's thread.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.