cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I stuck as an AU?

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure

Am I stuck as an AU?

Hi, first time poster with a quick newbie question...

I was an AU on brother's USAA World MC for a few months, but then realized he had a pretty short history and a high utilization on that particular card -- oops!  So I had him remove me as an AU with USAA.  A few months passed and it was still showing on my EQ and TU reports, so I sent letters explaining that I'm no longer an AU and the tradeline should be removed.  TU did so right away, but not EQ.  Their reply letter said  "Once an acct has been opened, the acct may appear on the credit file for 7 of 10 years from the date of last activity."  

So any ideas on next step here?  I'm sure this 1-yr old 35% util acct is hurting more than helping with EQ score.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Legendary Contributor

Re: Am I stuck as an AU?

That is BS.  As an AU, you never "opened" anything.  Removal of AU status is not a decision that the CRA can make.  If the creditor insturcts the CRA to delete the AU status, CRA acceptance is not discretionary on their part.

Message 2 of 4
Moderator Emeritus

@sweetlou wrote:

Hi, first time poster with a quick newbie question...

I was an AU on brother's USAA World MC for a few months, but then realized he had a pretty short history and a high utilization on that particular card -- oops!  So I had him remove me as an AU with USAA.  A few months passed and it was still showing on my EQ and TU reports, so I sent letters explaining that I'm no longer an AU and the tradeline should be removed.  TU did so right away, but not EQ.  Their reply letter said  "Once an acct has been opened, the acct may appear on the credit file for 7 of 10 years from the date of last activity."  

So any ideas on next step here?  I'm sure this 1-yr old 35% util acct is hurting more than helping with EQ score.

Thanks!

Hello and welcome.

USAA may not have ever sent the request to the CRA's to have you removed. Have you contacted USAA to make sure?

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 3 of 4

Thanks for the responses, I thought it was weird too.  I'll start by calling USAA tomorrow to make sure they requested removal.  I just got the EQ reply today, so I just wanted to check in with the experts here first.  Great forum, I'm learning a lot!  I'd been a cash/debit person for over 15 years, but divorce has motivated me to get my finances in order.  Started 6-7 months ago with a blank slate, no baddies but also no credit history at all.   Now I have 2 positives reporting and I believe with time and patience I'll be ok.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.