Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmX No Longer Providing Free Monthly FICO Scores

tag
sjt
Senior Contributor

Re: AmX No Longer Providing Free Monthly FICO Scores

American Express still offers FICO scores.

As of 12.20.18, you can see the FICO link under "Useful Links".     

If you dont see it there, then click on "Account Services", scroll down to "Personal Details" and you will see the FICO link.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 31 of 40
rbentley
Established Contributor

FICo scores are still available on site but the link has been demoted and they are promoting MyCreditGuy. One has to wonder if they will continue to offer both FICO and VS. It makes little sense to offer both and only seems to lead to confusion as to "Why does AmEx give me two significantly different scores."  Their CSR's are going to be overwhelmed explaining the difference to confused card holders.

January will be the test as to whether this a transition between services.

Message 32 of 40
sjt
Senior Contributor

@rbentley wrote:
FICo scores are still available on site but the link has been demoted and the are promoting MyCreditGuy. One has to wonder if they will continue to offer both FICo and VS. it makes little sense to offer both and only seems to lead to confusion as to "Why does AmEx give me two significantly different scores. "
January will be the test as to whether this a transition between services.

When I login its on the right side under useful links.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 33 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@staticvoidmain wrote:

It's still there, buried under the menus. Here's a quick link. I'd bookmark it.

For the most recents commenters, and anyone new to this thread, you'll see (above) that SVM provides a direct link to the score.

I agree that we will have a better idea a few months from now if Amex is transitioning to not offering the FICO score at all.  If their plan is to eventually drop it, it makes sense that they'd go through a 2- 3 month period where they made it less easy to view (but still accessible).  That way it enables them to test the waters and see if they experience a popular uprising when customers can't see it.

I will be mildly irritated if they drop it, since it means I'll have to go to another free service if I want to see it.  For me, I like getting my FICO scores through my credit cards, because I have to sign on to them anyway just to make sure no weird transactions are happening.  I have two cards with Amex (EX), three with BOA (TU) and three with Citi (EQ) -- plus a few other cards (Chase, etc.). 

But as others have observed, there are a number of free websites to get your EX FICO 8.

Message 34 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

I see no change whatsoever AMEX has always offered both: fico eight from Experian and the Vantage from TransUnion they are just in different places. Login, go to my account, profile, fico ... on mobile app
Message 35 of 40
rbentley
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I see no change whatsoever AMEX has always offered both: fico eight from Experian and the Vantage from TransUnion they are just in different places. Login, go to my account, profile, fico ... on mobile app

This is news to AMEX.  They just sent out press releases this summer announcing their new MyCredit Guide service with Vantage Scores.  They had previously (and still do) offer FICO scores.  There is speculation that the new MyCredit Guide service will replace FICO Scores, however it is possible that they will continue to offer members FICO scores but offer everyone the free MyCredit Guide Vantage Scores.  At present MyCredit Guide with VS is accessed through the AmEx site, but it is open to everyone (including non-card holders), much like Discover does with their credit score card.  The Vantage scores are updated weekly (like CK) while their FICO score has only been updated monthly.  It also includes a credit score simulator that has drawn praise for being "robust." Only the FICO score is available on the mobile app.  AmEx hopes to use the MyCredit Guide service to drive non-card holders to the site and to make targeted AmEx offers to those non-card holders who register for the new service.

The fact that they had "always offered both" is something they and other financial news services seem to be unaware of, as the MyCredit Guide service was only first announced in May, 2018, but maybe that is "always" depending on your frame of reference.

Message 36 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are absolutely correct, I stand corrected. The “always” was inaccurate surplusage. Thank you for correcting my oversight sir.
Message 37 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

My FICO score returned after a short V3.0 pause. 

Message 38 of 40
rbentley
Established Contributor

Yes, I just noticed yesterday that the "View FICO Score" link had been restored to the homepage and the MyCredit Guide is now down under "Links You May Like" as "Free Credit Score and Report".

I think we can surmise that AmEx CSR were overwhelmed with negative reaction to the location of the links and that any plan to abandon free FICO scores (if there was even ever such a plan) has now been abandoned and all is back to the way it should be.

*Mods and expecially @CreditGuyinDixie, I welcome your input as to how to change the title of this thread to avoid confusion and misinformation.  I think it should now be locked.  Please feel free to take whatever action you think appropriate or dirrect me as to how besst address this kerfuffle.*

Message 39 of 40
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

As the info is no longer valid this thread is locked.
Message 40 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.