cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon Store Card closed for returned payments but rep gave me wrong info so need help

tag
IcyCool7227
Regular Contributor

Amazon Store Card closed for returned payments but rep gave me wrong info so need help

My Amazon Store Card account was closed for two returned payments which I just found out several hours earlier. I was aware of the failed payment on the 18th because I looked in my payments section and saw it went to the wrong bank, however that was the next day after I made it. I called Amazon and the phone rep told me he couldn't cancel it because it was already being processed. However he told me that he did not see a previous returned payment on the account (wrong!) and that I shouldn't worry about it. When I called yesterday I was told that there was a a previous returned payment back last June. Had the first phone rep informed me that this was the second returned payment, I could have gone to Wal-Mart to deposit money in the online only Go Bank account where the payment was going to and prevented the 2nd returned payment from happening. I hope this makes sense. I don't know if that could get back my account but I was told the wrong info here.

I chatted with an online rep and he said he would make a note on my account and reported the agent for wrong info. He said to call them and speak to somebody about all this. The online agent told me all the calls were recorded and if they can pull up the recorded call, they would have proof that I was given the wrong info about the returned payments. I even remember the agents name. Could this information help re-open my account?

Before I chatted, the supervisor told me I would be able to reapply after the closure was updated in the credit bureaus system and give it 30-60 days from now. If it's not able to be reopened could I get this same card again? Would they look at the returned payment history? Thank you for your help.

As of: 3/28/24:

EQ: 785 (prev. 778 on 2/6/24; 773 on 1/26/24 & 750 on 1/7/24 & 626 on 6/7/24 & 652 in April 2023) - FICO 8
EX: 763 (prev. 755 on 2/6/24; 753 on 1/26/24 & 732 on 1/7/24 & 643 on 6/7/24 & 619 in April 2023) - FICO 8
TU: 759 (prev. 748 on 2/6/24; 744 on 1/26/24 & 689 on 1/7/24 & 6/7/24 & 654 in April 2023) - CreditKarma

Have:
- Amazon Prime Store Card: $5,000
- Capital One SavorOne Cash Rewards: $1,200
- Chase Freedom Flex: $500
- Discover it Cashback: $2,000
- Kohl’s Charge: $3,000
- Super Cash: Limit varies based on debit balance - doesn't show up in accounts anymore though on CRs.
- Zolve: Shows up but have not set up yet as no money has been put on the account.
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Amazon Store Card closed for returned payments but rep gave me wrong info so need help

Banks frown upon returned payments regardless of the reason and having 2 returned payments is a huge red flag to them. Did you not remember you had a returned payment prior to this one? I really don't think what the rep did or did not tell you or what they could or could not see is going to do you much good.  

I wish you luck on the recon and if it doesn't work out, you can always reapply in the future.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Amazon Store Card closed for returned payments but rep gave me wrong info so need help

I think you may have to wait at least a year to reapply with Synchrony for a closed account. Lates are bad, returned payments are the devil. Sorry.
Message 3 of 11
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@IcyCool7227 wrote:

My Amazon Store Card account was closed for two returned payments which I just found out several hours earlier. I was aware of the failed payment on the 18th because I looked in my payments section and saw it went to the wrong bank, however that was the next day after I made it. I called Amazon and the phone rep told me he couldn't cancel it because it was already being processed. However he told me that he did not see a previous returned payment on the account (wrong!) and that I shouldn't worry about it. When I called yesterday I was told that there was a a previous returned payment back last June. Had the first phone rep informed me that this was the second returned payment, I could have gone to Wal-Mart to deposit money in the online only Go Bank account where the payment was going to and prevented the 2nd returned payment from happening. I hope this makes sense. I don't know if that could get back my account but I was told the wrong info here.

I chatted with an online rep and he said he would make a note on my account and reported the agent for wrong info. He said to call them and speak to somebody about all this. The online agent told me all the calls were recorded and if they can pull up the recorded call, they would have proof that I was given the wrong info about the returned payments. I even remember the agents name. Could this information help re-open my account?

Before I chatted, the supervisor told me I would be able to reapply after the closure was updated in the credit bureaus system and give it 30-60 days from now. If it's not able to be reopened could I get this same card again? Would they look at the returned payment history? Thank you for your help.

I don’t think listening to a recording is going to help because the fact is you knew there was a previously returned check and unfortunately, now there’s two. It’s not the CSRs fault that he didn’t see it at that time. 

IMHO, I think you should take a timeout and treat this as a lesson learned. Even one returned check is looked on as a bad omen. And the fact that you would have to run to Walmart to cover it speaks volumes.

Make it a habit to ensure monies are in the bank account before making a payment/withdrawal. I don’t believe the card will be reopened because the bank possibly sees you as someone struggling to pay your credit card debt. 

I hope you take my advice in the spirit it is given and learn from this. 

GL2U

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 4 of 11
Caught750
Valued Contributor

IcyCool, while mistakes happen, there are many lessons here.

As CreditInspired said, you shouldn’t have to go somewhere (Walmart/Bank/ATM) to cover a payment that is scheduled for that day. That’s just not wise practice. Two days away and you hafta drop some cash, okay. Two hours, not so much.

Also, you were aware of the returned check previously, it is not the CSRs fault that a second payment was returned.

Please, please, please, learn from this experience. Learning, however, also requires an acceptance of responsibility. Any bank would be likely to close an account after a second NSF payment. Some would do it for the first.

Best of luck getting this sorted out. Let’s take some lessons away from the experience.

PERSONAL; Amex | AOD FCU | BBVA | BECU | Capital 1 | Chase | Citi | Discover | Key | NFCU | PSECU | SECU MD | Synchrony | US Bank
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
F8 Current F8s ~750 Best Ever F8s ~775
TOTAL PERSONAL CL > $350k and TCL > $365k
Message 5 of 11
tparks5961
Regular Contributor

Hey my friend and welcome. I have 2 cards that I make online payments to which are my Discover and Capital One cards. They give me access to my payments even if the money has not come out of my bank account. 

If I really wanted to, I could make a payment to discover for $2500.00 without having money in my account, charge the card up immediately for another $2500.00 and have that payment returned putting discover at a loss of $2500.00. I'm sure this wasn't your plan but you could imagine over the years and many millions of transactions that this is something they deal with on a regular basis. I'm sure they have an automatic process to close accounts due to return payements because of their exposure.

Good luck... it won't be the end of your credit future.

Last Inquiry 12/23/2022 Ally Bank Mortgage
Fico Score Progression: 10/1/2018 EQ 530 TU 535 EX 540 | 1/10/2023 EQ 785 TU 789 EX 787
Message 6 of 11
MyDataMyChoice
Valued Contributor

I have had this happen to my AEO Visa card...

I made a payment IN FULL instead of the minimum... and the payment was returned...

I called up (after it was closed) and plead with them. The rep was able to REHABILITATE the account. (His words).

Try asking if they can rehabilitate the account.

Message 7 of 11
IcyCool7227
Regular Contributor

In reply to jnbmom, no I didn't remember I had a previous returned payment. How come a credit card company can't just charge returned payment fees to recover the loss? I would prefer to have that more. If it wasn't for the Amazon discount or the 6 month interest free financing over $150, I'd rather go with a more personable credit card company that actually cares about it's customers. I feel Synchrony is so big that it doesn't take the time to understand mistakes.

Well a little while ago I talked to a different supervisor because Debbie wasn't available and she told me that even though the rep told me the wrong info the mistaken payment had been made before the phone call and she couldn't do anything to re-open the account. She suggested I pay off the balance and wait 30 days after that to re-apply. But that might be awhile before I'm able to pay it off unless I can either find another job or do lots of online money making tasks, like user tests. Again I don't know why that info was different than the previous supervisor Debbie, who told me I didn't have to repay the balance to apply again. Is Synchrony known for giving out wrong information like this?

I just feel terrible about everything. I had bad credit in the past and I've this card for 10 months along with another one and I've been making all the payments on time, with only one month being a few days late which they waived the late fee and didn't report it to the credit bureaus. I liked the Amazon Store Card because it gave me 5% or 6 months interest free financing for 6 months if the purchases were over $150. It feels very gut wrenching to me and I will do everything in my power to get that same card back and of course, be more careful not to select the wrong bank account. In fact I am going to be taking that bank account off both card sites because I never use that account to pay those bills. That online only bank account is to get Uber driver discounts at Wal-Mart and auto supplies (when I have a car). I should have never even put it as a payment option.

I know I am a good person, it was just a mistake I made. The supervisor said unless there was a bank error it couldn't be reopened. I think I remember that back in June 2018, the mobile U.S. Bank app showed I had enough to cover the payment, but in reality, wasn't updated so that's how that happened. I could contact a manager from the local branch that I've talked to before about other issues I had but not sure if that would qualify.

I did get approved for the Amazon account before a collection account got created with an old different credit card that got charged off. If I re-apply, would that affect getting re-approved for a new account? Has anyone been able to open up this Amazon Store card with a collections on their record? it would help to know and not waste an inquiry just yet.

In response to:

Community Leader
Super Contributor
I think you may have to wait at least a year to reapply with Synchrony for a closed account. Lates are bad, returned payments are the devil. Sorry.
---------
I read somewhere else with Synchrony you only have to wait a year if you closed the account yourself, not if the company closes it for you. 
As of: 3/28/24:

EQ: 785 (prev. 778 on 2/6/24; 773 on 1/26/24 & 750 on 1/7/24 & 626 on 6/7/24 & 652 in April 2023) - FICO 8
EX: 763 (prev. 755 on 2/6/24; 753 on 1/26/24 & 732 on 1/7/24 & 643 on 6/7/24 & 619 in April 2023) - FICO 8
TU: 759 (prev. 748 on 2/6/24; 744 on 1/26/24 & 689 on 1/7/24 & 6/7/24 & 654 in April 2023) - CreditKarma

Have:
- Amazon Prime Store Card: $5,000
- Capital One SavorOne Cash Rewards: $1,200
- Chase Freedom Flex: $500
- Discover it Cashback: $2,000
- Kohl’s Charge: $3,000
- Super Cash: Limit varies based on debit balance - doesn't show up in accounts anymore though on CRs.
- Zolve: Shows up but have not set up yet as no money has been put on the account.
Message 8 of 11
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Im a little confused here.  In addition to the 2 returned checks you also had a late/missed payment on an account that is less than 1 year old?  If this is true, dont even bother reapplying in 30 days. You will be insta denied by the computer and Synchrony does not recon applications.  Sorry OP

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 9 of 11
Caught750
Valued Contributor

IcyCool, I won’t beat a dead horse but there are some concerning things in your most recent response, namely, that you want to re-apply without paying off your current balance and that banks should charge you a returned payments fee on credit. Well, I suppose they kinda did and the fee was an account closure.

Fact of the matter is, OP, Synchrony loaned you money, revolving credit, and in their eyes you did not keep up your end. Banks have every right to close an account with or without cause. Most would argue that this closure was with cause.

Also, Synchrony (whom I have no accounts, or any affiliation, with) was understanding. Many banks would have closed your accounts following the first NSF return and late payment (days/weeks/months being irrelevant at that point). OP please understand that you are being loaned money under a, sometimes very strict, set of rules. Understand that it is the banks money, not yours, and that they have every right to terminate their relationship with you, as you do with them.

PERSONAL; Amex | AOD FCU | BBVA | BECU | Capital 1 | Chase | Citi | Discover | Key | NFCU | PSECU | SECU MD | Synchrony | US Bank
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
F8 Current F8s ~750 Best Ever F8s ~775
TOTAL PERSONAL CL > $350k and TCL > $365k
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.