cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express Gold credit reporting guidelines

tag

American Express Gold credit reporting guidelines

Here's a quick question fellow members,

Recently I posted that I was thinking of applying for the American Express Gold charge card and based on the advice and encouragement I received on this forum I decided to proceed and was ultimately approved for this premium charge card.

Again, thank everyone for their support.  

My question now is how will this card show or report on my credit file since it states it does not have a predetermined spending limit (theorically ) Smiley Embarassed but we all know that they do have preset limits and you just have to try it and see what amount is above your predetermined threshold on your card. Smiley Very Happy

How does this type of charge card reflect as far as CL or utilization on your report?

Thanks for your insight 

P.S.  This card is less than one month old and therefore my credit file has not been updated to include any of my American Express accounts.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: American Express Gold credit reporting guidelines

The balance on your Gold (charge card) will report to the credit bureaus but it will not factor into your utilization. Think there are a few scoring models where it does matter but it's the older models

Message 2 of 5
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Yes, the card will be reported as a charge card and will not display a limit like typical revolving credit cards do.  For the older credit scoring models that do factor NPSL cards into revolving credit usage, they will use the amount listed next to High Balance as your credit limit.  Outside of mortgage lending, it should not usually be an issue.  But if you charge say $2000 to the card every single month without ever having a higher reported balance, then those models will always consider the card to be maxed out.  For both scoring and general purposes, keep in mind that the full balance of the card will be shown as your minimum payment  (unlike a revolver which might show $29 on a $2000 balance) and that can drastically change DTI calculations.

Message 3 of 5

Please explain DTI, thanks.

Message 4 of 5
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@Just_my_opinion wrote:

Please explain DTI, thanks.

DTI stands for Debt To Income. 

You can find common forum abbreviations here. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.