Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Charged-off

tag
Amiashu12
Regular Contributor

Amex Charged-off

Hi Everyone. I have a charged-off account with Amex and i was wondering if i added myself as an Authorized user, will Amex allow it and get a boost on my credit score? 

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Charged-off

Very unlikely.  They will take your social to add you, see the charge off and deny it.  To have any relationship with them again you will need to pay back the charge off. 

Message 2 of 13
Amiashu12
Regular Contributor

Thanks for your feedback. My charged-off is back from 2013. I just tried under my father in law account and was able to get through. Does that mean i m not in Amex blacklist?

Message 3 of 13
boomhower
Valued Contributor

It is possible you slipped through the cracks.  I've seen people get denied for corporate cards because of defaults on personal cards.  Only way to find out is to apply for a card. 

Message 4 of 13
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Was the charged-off account eventually paid, or does it remain unpaid?

Message 5 of 13
Amiashu12
Regular Contributor

it remains unpaid.

Message 6 of 13
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Let us know if you receive the card... I've tried twice to add someone with a past Amex charge off to one of my Amex accounts.

Both times it appeared to work at first but a few days later I got a letter from Amex declining the AU, with a boilerplate notice that the AU could call for more details (in other words, the issue wasn't with me).

I do hope it works out for you, though. 

Message 7 of 13
Amiashu12
Regular Contributor

I did receive my Amex card as AU  and have been using it already just to see what happens. So far looking good. Remember my charged-off amount was 2k and it was blue cash if that matters.

Message 8 of 13
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

If you don't already I would carry a backup CC just to be safe because like others have mentioned on this thread AMEX doesn't let people with COs back in even as an AU. You might be one of the lucky few to slip through but even then I'd be careful.

Message 9 of 13
Amiashu12
Regular Contributor

I do. I have Capital one with $5k limit and Capital one silver for $2500 CL. 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.