Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any luck with state SOLs for deletion?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any luck with state SOLs for deletion?

I've been hanging out on another credit repair forum, and there's lots of advice to use the state-by-state SOLs to remove collections from CR before the 7-yr date. But I think I've read in the state-by-state SOL fine print that these only apply to how long each state can take action (liens, suing etc) to recoup their money. I have acc'ts that are greater than the state SOL (4yrs) but younger than the FCRA SOL (7 yrs).
I haven't heard state SOLs metioned at all on this forum as a repair tactic, which makes me even more sketchy about using them.
Can I dispute using the state SOL to have them removed?
Has anyone had success using state SOLs to remove old-but-not-that-old debts?
Or, are GW letters the way to go?

-Ivyalmighty
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Any luck with state SOLs for deletion?

Hi, ivy, yep, this is a pretty good example of unethical credit repair tactics that aren't allowed here. Please see our credit repair discussion guidelines:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=Welcome&thread.id=21

SOL has absolutely nothing to do with how long something can report. SOL simply refers to how long you can be sued for the debt. IMO, disputing on the basis of being beyond SOL is not only unethical, but dumb! Smiley Very Happy

Anyway, everyone, please be kind to a newcomer and don't keep this discussion going, or another mod will have to whisk this thread off to never-never land. Smiley Wink
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got it. My gut instinct was right. Sure seemed like they were picking and choosing which parts of that info they based their arguments on.
Feel free to delete this post now that I know it's truly a naughty tactic.
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

P.S. I NEVER have tried or would try to dispute/delete without payment just based on SOL. I have a few that are paid, but in that SOL grey area and was hoping to expedite the falling-off process. Just so you know... I'm the honest type.

-ivyalmighty
Message 4 of 10
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Smiley Very Happy
Message 5 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I could tell from your first post! It's always fun watching our new members try to get accustomed to the different feel here.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 10
atlastontheroad
Established Contributor

You mean there are "other" credit repair boards out there?  Really? 

As if any other could touch the even-handed, ethical tenor of this group of credit mavens.

Sheesh.....

atlast...ok, ok, I know they're out there, I even peeked but I didn't inhale, really!

Message Edited by atlastontheroad on 03-20-2008 12:15 AM
Ficos 2/17/08: TU 551 EQ 534 EX 587
Ficos 2/12/09 TU 695 EQ 715 EX 715
Fico...4/15/10....drumroll.....EQ 743
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good Smiley Happy I started typing something in the original post about feeling like I wasn't among my peers or in a different social class on the other board but then thought that would be snotty or judgmental. So now I'm saying it anyway Smiley Tongue
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Someone vistited the "Dark Side"

Research on some of the CR sites is interesting- You will never see me posting over there though- 

ivyalmighty wrote:
Good Smiley Happy I started typing something in the original post about feeling like I wasn't among my peers or in a different social class on the other board but then thought that would be snotty or judgmental. So now I'm saying it anyway Smiley Tongue

Message 9 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I dipped in once and came back and posted something about needing to set Excess Testosterone Shields on "full." It reminded me of the late-afternoon ESPN show with the guys that just sit there and yell. Yeesh, like I don't get that all day at work! Smiley Very Happy
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.