cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone apply for an AMEX card and asked for a CLI?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Anyone apply for an AMEX card and asked for a CLI?

fused111 wrote:

Is the Clear harder to get than the Gold Rewards Plus charge card?

Apparently so. High 600 FICOs are about the minimum. Even with FICOs in the 700s, one may not get automatically approved so methinks the Clear might be a semi-invitational card. IOW, you need to have a good history with AMEX already, and if they like what they've seen outta you then they'll approve you.

One step, perhaps, between Clear and Black might be the Butterfly, which I understand is invitation only. But it's slick as all get out.

Message 31 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Most of the time when asking for a higher credit limit the person you are talking to, usually a customer service rep, has an automated system overwhich they have no control. If you want to request more than the automated response then your request will be forwarded to an underwriter who manually reviews your credit.
Message 32 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

"

masdeocho wrote:
What's the difference between AmEx Blue and AmEx Clear?

Clear is supposed to be one of the toughest to get--aside from Black. "

Clear is about the same approval criteria as the blue. The primary difference is the rewards - the tiered .5/1.5 and 1/5 (after 6.5k) paid annually or 1 on everything in 25 increments.

Black isn't hard to get in terms of credit worthyness - the only difficult thing is spending 250k in a year or so that seems to be a common number believed to warrant an invitation.

Also, the statement that you won't get a f/r until you exceed 1/3 of stated income is complete garbage.
Message 33 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

"Apparently so. High 600 FICOs are about the minimum. Even with FICOs in the 700s, one may not get automatically approved so methinks the Clear might be a semi-invitational card. IOW, you need to have a good history with AMEX already, and if they like what they've seen outta you then they'll approve you."

Remember that when looking at amex through that lens that Amex doesn't use FICO's.
Message 34 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

okrogius wrote:

Clear is about the same approval criteria as the blue.

AMEX doesn't ignore FICOs, but at some level and above--perhaps Clear--they are looking at other things as well. A lot report getting Blue approved online instantly, but waiting a day for Clear approval even with FICOs in the high 700s. Clear does seem to have more stringent approval criteria.

Message 35 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

"AMEX doesn't ignore FICOs, but at some level and above--perhaps Clear--they are looking at other things as well. A lot report getting Blue approved online instantly, but waiting a day for Clear approval even with FICOs in the high 700s. Clear does seem to have more stringent approval criteria." Just sharing what I heard directly from amex. I can't guarantee that the person I was talking to was the most knowledgeable authority on the topic, but if I had to trust anyone, the horse's mouth would be a good place to start. Amex does ignore fico's as they use their own scoring model.
Message 36 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was approved last week for Amex Blue Cash with an Experian score of 658. I haven't received the card, so I haven't tried for CLI, but as I'd like to use it as my main card, due to the cash rewards, I will certainly try it.
Message 37 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

So with my scores at high 500's (587, 593, 570) should I apply for a AmEx card? I am trying to rebuild credit and have 3 CC's now, with a 900 limit total. All have $0 balance. These were all pre-apprved cards with annual fees, but I wanted to get some activity on my reports besides my installment loans.

What do you think my best bet is?

delsolkm14@yahoo.com
Message 38 of 39
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

delsolkm14 wrote:
So with my scores at high 500's (587, 593, 570) should I apply for a AmEx card? I am trying to rebuild credit and have 3 CC's now, with a 900 limit total. All have $0 balance. These were all pre-apprved cards with annual fees, but I wanted to get some activity on my reports besides my installment loans.

What do you think my best bet is?

delsolkm14@yahoo.com

I would wait!
Message 39 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.