Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone familiar with " Weltman, Weinberg & Reis Co., L.P.A.,"

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Anyone familiar with " Weltman, Weinberg & Reis Co., L.P.A.,"

They passed it onto another law firm because they are not a law firm.  They referred it to one of their association members to handle.

They have this disclosure on their About Us in their website. 

As I have said before, it opens up a big can of worms with regard to the FDCPA and misrepresentation of themselves.

You also should always check because there was a case in Illinois and in Washington that I read where the company was not licensed or bonded in those states to do business.

In my state, I am still waiting for clarification in writing but it appears they are properly licensed or bonded to do business in my state.

Message 41 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Anyone familiar with Credit line closed-grantor request-reported by subscriber

I will truely tell you they are hard to deal with. I would ask for original oaperwork as well as review the true lending act & billing act. This may pertain to you.
google al the lawsuits against this firm and make sure they can collect in your state.
good luck.
Message 42 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do not mess with these people.  They are scumbags, and will stop at nothing to get their money.  They are litigous.  They like to sue.  And they will sue you.  I was sued for two different Capital One credit cards under $1000.  Being uneducated (as most of us are) about the debt collection process, I made "arrangements" with a CSR.  I knew full well that I could not afford these arrangements, but the guy would not take anything less.  Flat out refused over the course of an hour and a half conversation.  Sure enough, when I couldn't pay the arranged amount, they took it out of my bank account anyway.  So I changed my bank account number.  Meanwhile, they guy had told me I would not get any judgements against me if I made arrangements.  The minute I changed my account number, my wages at work began getting garnished and they froze my bank account.  Why?  Because I did indeed get a judgement, even though the rep had told me differently.  Bottom line.....I ended up borrowing money from a family member and paying them off.  Great.  But then....as soon as I paid them off, these bottom feeders dug through my credit report, found another account under $1000, and are contacting me again!  They saw that I paid them off and want to keep the gravy train going.  I will be contacting the original creditor on this, although I don't know if it will work.  Luckily, after this account, they will have run out of accounts to try to "get me" on.  These people are money grubbing scumbags who do not care about you or your situation.  Do not be ashamed to be in debt.  Many people are.  You are not alone, and you will get through it.
Message 43 of 51
thmgoodw
Established Member

Here's my story with WWR.

I couldn't afford/pay for 3 CCs, each with around $10-12k of revolving debt on them. Cap1, Chase and BofA (was MBNA account).  I signed up with one of the bigger CSRs.  The Cap1 account was only 5 months past due, and WWR filed a suit against me.  The worst part was when the sheriff came knocking on the door and served my wife with the suit, and my parents where there. I wasn't even home at the time. 

I'm still recovering from this episode last summer.  Anyways, i'm a lawyer myself, but am not a litigator, and ended up drafting a simily reply myself, and filed it with the courthouse, knowing that that would buy me several months at least.  I ended up being forced to settle for about 75% of the escalated amount (fees, fees, and more fees), as I really couldn't let this me known that this was happening to me. I just had to make it go bye bye.  I'm actually glad the CSR dealt with WWR, as I spoke to them a couple of times, and absolutely obnoxious folks.  I truly feel sorry for the lawyers that need to make a living working at a place like that.
Message 44 of 51
thmgoodw
Established Member

To the OP:

As someone who has already gone through dealing with WWR, and other law firms and collection agencies on 3 different CCs, I would recommend putting a freeze on all 3 of your credit reports.  WWR has or will pull your report, and if I had to do it over again, I would have frozen all 3 of my reports and given those scumbas as little information as possible about me.
Message 45 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know this is an old thread, but I am dealing with a similar situation as the original topic starter. 

I have a Chase credit card that due to loss of my job, has fallen behind.  I got a message from Weltman, Weinberg, & Reis.  Reading this and other forums I don't want to deal with this collection agency.  I can also still access and schedule a payment with Chase online.  The only difference with my account and Cosmo's in this thread is that my account is closed.  It says my past due amount is $1,700.  does anyone know if paying this past due amount on my account online will get me current even though the account is closed?  If I get the account caught up online and the payments are accepted by Chase, does this leave Weltman, Weinberg without a case against me.  Any help is appreciated as I am desperate to not let this get to litigation. 

Please help with your advice.

Message 46 of 51
guiness56
Epic Contributor

If the account is closed, it will be PIF.  You should not owe anything else.  To be on the safe side, I would call Chase and ask them.

If  you don't owe the money, they have nothing to sue you over.

Message 47 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply.  I don't think I stated my amount due very clear.  The $1700 is what they are saying is my minimum payment due.  I still have a balance greater than the $1700, but that is what is past due.  Will paying this past due(minimum payment) online on my closed account get my account considered up to date and give the CA nothing to go against me on as long as I continue to make the payments.  That is assuming my payment is processed by Chase, but from earlier posts and the fact that I can still log in and make a payment I think they will accept my payment. 

Message 48 of 51
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 49 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called Chase today.  They told me that the account was in litigation and they can't access it.  They said I would have to call Weltman/Weinberg, (the CA) and go through them.  I thought it was strange that they told me they can't access my account but I can still access it online and make a payment.  I don't want to call again and raise any flags that may get me locked out of the account before I can make a payment if I determine that would be the best step to try.  The account is listed as "closed by my request" because I had been on a payment program set up by Chase.  I can't use the card anymore but it was still "open"  for payments to get the balance paid off.

Message 50 of 51
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.