Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone familiar with " Weltman, Weinberg & Reis Co., L.P.A.,"

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Anyone familiar with " Weltman, Weinberg & Reis Co., L.P.A.,"

But with the account being collected by lawfirm but still owned by Chase. Im flying uder the radar right now. Wouldn't it be better to pay it off quickly before they notice?
Message 31 of 51
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

cosmo wrote:
But with the account being collected by lawfirm but still owned by Chase. Im flying uder the radar right now. Wouldn't it be better to pay it off quickly before they notice?

Hi cosmo... been wondering what's been going on!

So glad you have a family member ready to help.  Yes for certain it's best to pay it off quickly BUT you don't want to ruin your chances for a GW or PFD.  There is no clear-cut answer, I suppose it depends on if you want to take the chance that you can settle for less that the 18k. 

I wouldn't rush to PIF until I had figured out what I wanted the end result to be as there are so many variables.  I know it is complicated because you want to stay under the radar.

If it were me, I would probably e-pay 12k ASAP and then once it was clear I would take the chance of calling Chase and seeing if they would cut a settlement on the balance for a PFD.  If not, I would offer the full for a PFD.  If agreed, get it in writing. 

Once you PIF you might not get a GW or delete after the fact... no more bargaining room.
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 32 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

well, i suppose in this case that's the safer way to do it. I mean, as of friday you will have brought it current, so you could argue that there is no need for them to be involved, but you're right, it may not be worth the hassle to fight with them if they get nasty. avoiding a CA reporting to CRA's is reward enough.
Message 33 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

was just curious how this issue was coming along? are things still going your way?
Message 34 of 51
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

orhippychic wrote:
was just curious how this issue was coming along? are things still going your way?

Me too.  cosmo, what's the latest? Smiley Happy
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 35 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

Made a 4900. payment yesterday. Payment cleared and now when I check my account online it shows a balnce of 13000.00 and 4000 available credit. Strange because I thought they had closed the account. What do you think? Thanks Dan
Message 36 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

oooh! could it be that you totally saved it? That would be AWESOME! I gues the only way to know for sure without calling them and getting their attention (not a good idea) is to go out and try to buy a pack of gum with it. If they let you charge on it, then I would go back to my original suggestion of making large payments over the next 6 months or so... build that history back up and avoid borrowing money from your friend if you can. You lower your UT fast and perhaps keep a positive TL. Then in a few months when your balance is way down, you may even be able to GW the lates! Let us know!
Message 37 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

When it comes to this firm, don't deal with them.  ONLY deal with the originating creditor.  If you do a simple google on them, you will see a history of law suits.  From my research it looks like they have been sued for illegal FCRA and FDCPA violations.

The firm is not a law law but a legal professional assocation.  That's just the first of how they misrepresent themselves.

I learned about this firm with a fraudulent charge with DiscoverCard.  I went through the whole ID theft situation and received a letter from the originating creditor confirming the bill did not belong to me (low and behold they had the wrong person) and that they instructed the CRA's to delete the tradeline.

The account was deleted, but then re-appeared as a recent charge off.  Of course I complained and learned the agency is what they call a junk debt buyer.  They purchase old debts for pennies on the dollar from creditors who have charged off the debt as uncollectible. 

The firm has sent papers that appear to be court summons phishing for personal information.  The problem with this is that the firm is using an official document illegally.  They take the actual forms that are filed with the court and send this to folks to solicit personal information.  Where it becomes fraudulent representation is when they do not file the paperwork with the courts and they do not get a judge to approve the "discovery" of personal information.

With a quick search on-line I have seen reports of people harassed daily by phone. 

Aside from the standard violations of the FDCPA such as threatening jail time, loss of job, in person harassment, etc., my current issue I am trying to resolve is their ongoing falisification of information to the CRA's.  According to Discovercard the firm is reporting to the CRA's under DiscoverCards name and alleging the charge off (which is from 1999) is a current charge off most recently 11/30/07. 

Everyone I talk to asks why I don't initiate a law suit if my rights are being violated.  The reality of it is, to have a lawyer represent me in court I have to pay an upfront fee of several thousand dollars.  Since I have my documentation in place, the trade line is disregarded in credit related inquiries.  So it is a thorn I have to deal with and I just keep giving enough people my story and keep filing complaints with the FTC in hopes that the FTC will start bringing action against the firm and enforcing credit laws already in place.

If you honestly owe the money, you need to pay it - but work directly with the originating creditor and before you pay anything in so far as a reduced settlement as payment in full, get it in writing.  If this firm is in the mix, you will need paperwork to prove your allegations in case they do try to sue, garnish wages, or attach property on any or all of the remaining balance.

Message 38 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

They passed it onto another law firm because they are not a law firm.  They referred it to one of their association members to handle.

They
Message 39 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

They passed it onto another law firm because they are not a law firm.  They referred it to one of their association members to handle.

They have
Message 40 of 51
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.