Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone know the SOL of CC debt in IL

tag
jsk300
Regular Contributor

Anyone know the SOL of CC debt in IL

I've seen conflicting information.  An open account in IL has a 5 year SOL, while a written contract is 10 years.  I've read that CC's were considered open accounts. I've also read where some courts are ruling that the CC debts in IL are considered written contracts.  I have a few accounts that are past the 5 year SOL and would love to send off FOAD letters to LVNV and Midland, but just want to make sure that it won't come back to bite me if the SOL is 10 years.  Anyone in IL out there who has gone through this and knows what SOL is the correct one that the courts go by?  Many thanks to all of you FICO experts!  Go Hawks!
TU 673 EX (720 Credit score) EQ 690 (08/2009)
TU 698 EQ 697 EX ?? (07/2010)
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Anyone know the SOL of CC debt in IL

Do not take what I say to the bank!    I believe that it is federal law that says CCs are open accounts!

State law does NOT pre-empt federal law......unless they have an ok from the feds.

The only state that I know of that has a per empt is NY  and that only deals with paid collections

I would call your state and ask so that you are sure.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.