Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apartment Woes

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Apartment Woes

I'm hoping that someone with knowledge of similar situations can assist me with with an issue I'm likely soon to face. I have been living in my current apartment complex for nearly 10 years. Last summer I moved into a larger unit within the complex where my lease is set to expire on 7/31. I've hated ever moment that I have had to spend there. The neighbor below me is not "neighborly" at all. She plays loud music all times of the night which disturbs any chance of enjoyment for me and my family. In the beginning I anonymously (which I realize now to have been a mistake) called the police not once but twice because of her noise. I really should have been anonymous but what's done is done right? The next few times she was disorderly, I've sent written notice to the property manager documented the time of occurence. I've reported her to them at least 4 times but nothing has helped the situation. The property manager set up "mediation" between us but that only helped briefly. I am at my wits end. I sent them a certified letter w/ notice of my lease termination. Rather than 7/31 I will be leaving on 6/30. I was hoping that due to the problems I've endured while living in my current apartment, we'd just call it even but the manager responded that in addition to fees that I'll be responsible for, I'll owe them a lease termination fee. I do not plan to pay them anything before my departure due to the hardship and stress she has caused. Can they take legal action to try to collect for the money? Will my documented attempts to get the problem solved be enough to keep them from getting a judgement against me? Any help will be greatly appreciated.    

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Apartment Woes

You have to know what the lease says. If it ever went to court, the judge would go by the lease. How much are the fees in relation to the single month's rent? In other words, wouldn't it just be cheaper to stay in one more month through the end of July versus paying fees? Check your lease.

Message 2 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm hoping that someone with knowledge of similar situations can assist me with with an issue I'm likely soon to face. I have been living in my current apartment complex for nearly 10 years. Last summer I moved into a larger unit within the complex where my lease is set to expire on 7/31. I've hated ever moment that I have had to spend there. The neighbor below me is not "neighborly" at all. She plays loud music all times of the night which disturbs any chance of enjoyment for me and my family. In the beginning I anonymously (which I realize now to have been a mistake) called the police not once but twice because of her noise. I really should have been anonymous but what's done is done right? The next few times she was disorderly, I've sent written notice to the property manager documented the time of occurence. I've reported her to them at least 4 times but nothing has helped the situation. The property manager set up "mediation" between us but that only helped briefly. I am at my wits end. I sent them a certified letter w/ notice of my lease termination. Rather than 7/31 I will be leaving on 6/30. I was hoping that due to the problems I've endured while living in my current apartment, we'd just call it even but the manager responded that in addition to fees that I'll be responsible for, I'll owe them a lease termination fee. I do not plan to pay them anything before my departure due to the hardship and stress she has caused. Can they take legal action to try to collect for the money? Will my documented attempts to get the problem solved be enough to keep them from getting a judgement against me? Any help will be greatly appreciated.    

I would seriously recommend you consult a local attorney.

Most states provde that the lessee has the right to quiet enjoyment of the premesis.  Whether or not the lessor's failure to take sufficient action against another possiblly antisocal tenant is a breach or not is subject to debate. 

I believe they may not be successful in obtaining judgment against you so long as you can document what you've described.  Still, there is no guarantee.  What they can do even without getting a judgment against you is cause you headaches by retaining any deposit you may have placed with them and also place a negative trade line on your credit report. 

A local attorney can help you.  I'd imagine that a nice (Well, ok, not really "nice") letter from your attorney threatening them will legal action for breach of contract might make them more apt to accept your proposal. 

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all so much. As I said, I have documented certified letters and my lease does mention the lessee's right to quiet enjoyment. The deposit was $200 and the fees total $550 that they want me to pay. I don't think they can place anything in my credit file without notifying me beforehand. In that instance I will seek legal representation. I will be more than happy to forfeit the deposit but I'm not paying them a dime. At any rate I'm going to take my chances in court if I have to and let the chips fall as they may. Thanks again.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you all so much. As I said, I have documented certified letters and my lease does mention the lessee's right to quiet enjoyment. The deposit was $200 and the fees total $550 that they want me to pay. I don't think they can place anything in my credit file without notifying me beforehand. In that instance I will seek legal representation. I will be more than happy to forfeit the deposit but I'm not paying them a dime. At any rate I'm going to take my chances in court if I have to and let the chips fall as they may. Thanks again.

Invalid assumption.  They most certainly can put a negative tradeline on your credit report without prior notification.  Once there, there may be virtually nothing an attorney can do about it.  Also, if your jurisdiction has a housing court, they may be able to even get a judgment against you a lot easier than you think -- even without you being aware until after the fact. 

Perhaps you are a lucky person.  However, with a little bad luck you could find yourself looking at even bigger problems with more expensive solutions down the road.  It pays to CYA legally. 

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

The attorney advice sounds pretty good.

You might also get some guidance or information from a government agency.  Searching for your state and count plus "tenant" or "tenant landlord" might yield a county tenant commission or similar.  It's possible you could call such an agency and get some good advice.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.