Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple pay with rewards and cash back cards

tag
MT936
Established Contributor

Apple pay with rewards and cash back cards

With apple pay the merchant does not see what you purchase, this could potentially be a huge issue because everyone wants their rewards from their cards. Has anyone heard about anyone addressing this issue?
Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $25,000 | Navy FCU Cash Rewards: $25,000 | Discover It: $20,500
Chase Freedom: $12,500 | Citi Double Cash: $10,000 | Bank of America Cash Rewards: $8,000

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
H_you
Valued Member

Re: Apple pay with rewards and cash back cards

Bump
Message 2 of 7
Exonumist
Established Contributor

I'm also very curious how this will play out. Most cards specifically exclude third party payments from certain rewards. I guess only time will tell.

Message 3 of 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@MT936 wrote:
With apple pay the merchant does not see what you purchase, this could potentially be a huge issue because everyone wants their rewards from their cards. Has anyone heard about anyone addressing this issue?

Why would that matter?  Rewards are based on MCC -- not on line items.  Do you have cards with rewards that state otherwise?

@MT936 wrote:
Has anyone heard about anyone addressing this issue?

Apple states that rewards associated with a card will still be received.  I haven't seen details so there's really not much else to go on at this point.

Message 4 of 7
taxi818
Super Contributor

Well cap 1 sent me email saying they will be all over the apple pay. since it is quicksilver. im assuming i would still get my rewards. i can't beleive cap 1 already sent out that email so fast. they want to be 1st in that deal. Smiley Sad

Message 5 of 7
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

Why would that matter?  Rewards are based on MCC -- not on line items.  Do you have cards with rewards that state otherwise?

Google Wallet for example acts like PayPal where Google charges you directly rather than passing through the merchant charge. In this case MCC is not passed over and no bonus rewards will be earned.

Message 6 of 7
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

@takeshi74 wrote:

Google Wallet for example acts like PayPal where Google charges you directly rather than passing through the merchant charge. In this case MCC is not passed over and no bonus rewards will be earned.

But then why does Discover specifically advertise on the member login that you can use Google Wallet with the IT card and still get bonus categories?

https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/google-wallet/

"When using your Discover Card with Google Wallet to make purchases in-store, you can earn rewards in category based programs, such as the seasonal 5% program, on category purchases up to the dollar amount specified in each program if you signed up."

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.