Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are CLI's okay during mortgage process?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are CLI's okay during mortgage process?

It looks like my mortgage process will be going past my year mark on my cards. I could have been doing cli's every six months but decided to wait for the year mark and now that it is approaching, would hitting those luv buttons with possible HP'S on two, SP on the other be a big no or are cli's free passes since the line already exists?
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Are CLI's okay during mortgage process?

I sure wouldn’t advise it. Especially those HPs.

You’ve waited this long, why not wait a bit more?As soon as you close, go for it.
Message 2 of 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
It looks like my mortgage process will be going past my year mark on my cards. I could have been doing cli's every six months but decided to wait for the year mark and now that it is approaching, would hitting those luv buttons with possible HP'S on two, SP on the other be a big no or are cli's free passes since the line already exists?

Only with Soft Pulls. No Hard Pulls.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very true. *Sigh* That itch is beginning to really itch, lol
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

SP CLIs are fine as they don't appear to be requests for credit.  They could have been auto-CLIs from your lenders for all someone knows when doing a MR and seeing your limit increase, as there's no HP indicating that you were seeking credit.  No harm no foul there.

Taking on HPs (credit seeking) are a definite no-no though when you have a mortgage approaching, so don't go for any CLIs that you aren't 100% certain will be considered via SP.

Message 5 of 13
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

If you take the plunge, just make DARN sure when you request a CLI, the SP language is there. Your patience at this point in time is not worth an accidental HP. 

GL2U

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will probably wait then. Amex is the only sp we know for sure. Nfcu will be a hp 99% and citi is a coin toss.
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will probably wait then..... Amex is the only sp we know for sure. Nfcu will be a hp 99% and citi is a coin toss. Funny how that itch just grows when you get close.
Message 8 of 13
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I will probably wait then. Amex is the only sp we know for sure. Nfcu will be a hp 99% and citi is a coin toss.

Check Citi’s portal again. They usually have the language if it’s going to be a SP or not. Mine says, “It’s easy to find out if you qualify for a CLI. A CBR will not be requested and you will receive an instant decision.”

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 9 of 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I will probably wait then..... Amex is the only sp we know for sure. Nfcu will be a hp 99% and citi is a coin toss. Funny how that itch just grows when you get close.

Citi is not a coin toss. It's completely clear if it will be a soft pull or a hard pull. [BTW it took me about a year or two of hard knocks to find out; finally someone on this forum let me in on the secret to knowing ahead of time].

If it's going to be a soft pull the language will be:

It's easy to find out if you qualify for a credit limit increase. A credit bureau report will not be requested and you will receive an instant decision.

Unless it has that language, it will be a hard pull.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.