Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized Users

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Authorized Users

I would like to help my husband with his credit and have it unbeknowing to him because I don't want him to start using my available credit and go hogwild!  He doesn't care about increasing his credit lines or applying for additional credit.  He says he is perfectly fine where he is, but I can see that he is stretched with what credit he does have. 

Is this advisable and will he be responsible for any of my debt if I should die? 

SandyK
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Authorized Users

sankofa wrote:

I would like to help my husband with his credit and have it unbeknowing to him because I don't want him to start using my available credit and go hogwild!  He doesn't care about increasing his credit lines or applying for additional credit.  He says he is perfectly fine where he is, but I can see that he is stretched with what credit he does have. 

Is this advisable and will he be responsible for any of my debt if I should die? 

SandyK

Making him an AU is a great idea.  No, he is not responsible for any of the debt.  To be sure it gets reported to all three CRA's, you might have to submit his ss# to them.  SS#'s are the only way to truly identify someone, just his name and DOB are not suffice.
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

In most cases weather he is an AU or not he would be responsible for your debts if something where to happen to you.

Well more specifically your estate would be.
Message 3 of 13
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Timothy wrote:
In most cases weather he is an AU or not he would be responsible for your debts if something where to happen to you.

Well more specifically your estate would be.

Maybe her estate but he is not responsible!
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay another question.  If I make him an AU on my account, will the credit card companies automatically send him a credit card to my account?
SandyK

Message Edited by sankofa on 05-27-2007 04:25 PM
Message 5 of 13
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

sankofa wrote:

Okay another question.  If I make him an AU on my account, will the credit card companies automatically send him a credit card to my account?
SandyK

Not unless you want them to. Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hee hee!  I love him but.......Smiley Indifferent   I do have my limits!!! 

SandyK
Message 7 of 13
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@Tuscani wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Okay another question. If I make him an AU on my account, will the credit card companies automatically send him a credit card to my account?
SandyK

Tuscani the young gent in pursuit of 800 for the broker dealer job who has posted here wanted to know if the lenders know that he is an AU just by looking at the credit report or if the history associated with the account appears as if it is his and his alone. Thanks.
Message 8 of 13
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

@smallfry wrote:

@Tuscani wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Okay another question. If I make him an AU on my account, will the credit card companies automatically send him a credit card to my account?
SandyK

Tuscani the young gent in pursuit of 800 for the broker dealer job who has posted here wanted to know if the lenders know that he is an AU just by looking at the credit report or if the history associated with the account appears as if it is his and his alone. Thanks.

Depends on how the CCC reports.. some will add the notation "Authorized User". However, most just show up as any other account. So in terms of scoring.. does matter how it reports.. FICO will calculate the account the same.. But an AU account could be easily spotted on a manual review.
Message 9 of 13
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@Tuscani wrote:

@smallfry wrote:

@Tuscani wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
SandyK

Depends on how the CCC reports.. some will add the notation "Authorized User". However, most just show up as any other account. So in terms of scoring.. does matter how it reports.. FICO will calculate the account the same.. But an AU account could be easily spotted on a manual review.

I'm just reading between the lines here and maybe speaking out of school. If a company demands a FICO score of 800 and most probably across the board it would appear to me that they will do a manual review. I sensed his concern about this the other day. Postponing for a year longer seems like the way to go for him. Thanks I had no idea. I always appreciate you taking time to answer these questions.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.