cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized user on a card has massively dropped my credit. Can I contest it?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Authorized user on a card has massively dropped my credit. Can I contest it?

I am an authorized user on my friend’s credit card, (we share a lot of expenses and it makes it easier to track spending) and due to 2 large purchases and a return that took longer than anticipated to process the balance of the card posted at almost 90% utilization. 

The card was paid off immediately, but the posted balance has dropped my credit by almost 60 points.  Since the purchases were all made on my friend’s card and there were none of my purchase that cycle is there any way I can file something with the credit bureaus to get that incident removed or at least adjusted so the hit isn’t 60 points? I know once the payoff posts my score will improve but I want to know if there is anything else I can do. 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Re: Authorized user on a card has massively dropped my credit. Can I contest it?

Welcome to the forums!

You can always call the bank and request that the AU relationship be terminated. This will end the current reporting and the account will show as closed / terminated on your credit report.

If you are trying to remove the trade line in its entirety it can be very simple or very complicated depending on the issuing bank. You would need to request that they remove the trade line.

Neither of these processes are very quick when it comes to reporting to the bureau’s unless it’s discover as you can request an off cycle report.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Authorized user on a card has massively dropped my credit. Can I contest it?

@Anonymous wrote:

I am an authorized user on my friend’s credit card, (we share a lot of expenses and it makes it easier to track spending) and due to 2 large purchases and a return that took longer than anticipated to process the balance of the card posted at almost 90% utilization. 

The card was paid off immediately, but the posted balance has dropped my credit by almost 60 points.  Since the purchases were all made on my friend’s card and there were none of my purchase that cycle is there any way I can file something with the credit bureaus to get that incident removed or at least adjusted so the hit isn’t 60 points? I know once the payoff posts my score will improve but I want to know if there is anything else I can do. 

No.  Other than asking the card's issuer to remove you as an authorized user there is nothing you can do but wait for the balances to update and your score to recover. Situations like this is part of the risk of being an authorizer user or adding an authorized user.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

You will recoup most, if not all,  of the points lost next month, I wouldn't bother with it.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

You could ask the bank to do an off-cycle update. Some will as a courtesy, some won’t. I wouldn’t bother if you don’t need your scores up there for an app that’s coming shortly though. As stated by you and the others, you’ll rebound when it next reports.
Message 5 of 11
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

No there's nothing else you can do. In 30 days from the report it will be past history anyway.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 6 of 11
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

Since the balance has already been paid off then there’s really nothing to fret about and just wait for the next cycle to update which should get your scores back up.
It is however worth considering though about getting your credit tied on a situation where you have no control of. That AU acct affects your credit greatly as evidenced by that score drop. So in hindsight, dependent on your friend’s financial/credit situation. Just a food for thought. Smiley Happy
Oh and welcome to the Community! Stick around you’ll learn a ton more as we all did!
New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 7 of 11
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Welcome, @Anonymous. Smiley Happy If this happens to be a Chase or Discover card, all you have to do is call in and ask, and they'll report the balance as of the date of the call.

Message 8 of 11
ChessChik47
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Is this a FICO score or a Vantage score (like Credit Karma)?   If it's Vantage, don't worry about it, as lenders use FICO scores.

Message 9 of 11
RickNATL
Established Contributor

This is not as severe as a late pay, etc....I wouldn't bother esp. since its paid off. I would talk with the primary cardholder about timing purchases differently in the future or term the AU relationship if that will be a concern moving fwd.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.