cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto loan loan rate too high? Please help

tag
Johnni

Auto loan loan rate too high? Please help

I'm about purchase a used vehicle from a dealership. The loan amount is $22000 but the rate the dealership gave me were 6.79% for 60 month. I tried my credit union and I got 1.69% but they only approve me up $15000. Should go with the dealership and refinance in 3-6 months later? Or is their some way I can ask credit union to increase my loan amount? My credit score is 750, I being trying to rebuild my credit for the past year. 3 open credit card accounts with under 30% usage. Credit union told me because never had a large loan beside my $5000 motorcycle loan with them, which is paid off. Please help
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
user5387
Valued Contributor

Re: Auto loan loan rate too high? Please help

There may be other credit unions in your area that you could talk to.

There are also a lot of national credit unions that anyone can join, for example DCU and Penfed.

Message 2 of 11
Johnni

So even with other credit union they cold possible increase my loan amount?
Message 3 of 11
user5387
Valued Contributor

Every credit union is different.  I'd suggest calling a few local and national ones and see if they can help you.

Auto loans are secured, and thus may be easier to qualify for than other loans.

Message 4 of 11
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@user5387 wrote:

Every credit union is different.  I'd suggest calling a few local and national ones and see if they can help you.

Auto loans are secured, and thus may be easier to qualify for than other loans.

+1; easiest loan type to qualify for.

@OP, since you've already taken auto inquiries from the dealership and the CU, I'd start shopping around personally.  Auto inquiries within a month's time all roll up to score as a single one in the recent versions of the FICO algorithm.

        
Message 5 of 11
Johnni

I tried contacting a couple other credit union in the area, they told my loan is still pending. It wouldn't help applying at other credit union, the credit wouldn't increase
Message 6 of 11
notfancy
Valued Contributor

It could be that the specific vehicle you are trying to purchase only warrants a certain credit extension amount. How old is the auto? How many miles? Etc... things like that some times have an impact on the amount of a loan you can get. Would you consider a different vehicle?

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 7 of 11
Johnni

The vehicle is 2008 with 49000 milage, could it be the year of the vehicle?
Message 8 of 11
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Book value to the loan amount is what's killing you probably.

Message 9 of 11
Johnni

The book value is 22500.the dealer is now offering 4.9% to get me to sign
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.