Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBVA card numbers stolen all the time?

tag
CreditJourney007
Frequent Contributor

BBVA card numbers stolen all the time?

Hi all,

I've had two BBVA cards for about 1.5 years total, and in that time, both of them have been stolen at least twice. Today I logged in to check my balance, and there was a pending charge for $130,000!!! 

I canceled the card right away, but does anyone have issues with this? I've literally only had fraud on these cards. I have about 15 other open cards (store/general) and never have had the card numbers stolen before. 

This may be moot since BBVA will be PNC soon, but I was more so just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? It's so odd that they'd even let a $130k charge go through (albeit, pending) on a 12k limit without some sort of radar going off.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: BBVA card numbers stolen all the time?

Never has happened to me on my BBVA account.  Maybe it is where you used it either in person or online that has the issue?  Out of all my years of having CC's and having 30+ cc's I have only had one occurance of actual fraud on any of my cards.  Maybe I am just more lucky than some?

Message 2 of 9
tcbofade
Super Contributor

This happened exactly once on my BBVA account.

They issued me a new card last month, and we'll see how long until it happens again.

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 3 of 9
CreditJourney007
Frequent Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Never has happened to me on my BBVA account.  Maybe it is where you used it either in person or online that has the issue?  Out of all my years of having CC's and having 30+ cc's I have only had one occurance of actual fraud on any of my cards.  Maybe I am just more lucky than some?

It is probably more likely that - but it's just odd it only happens to my BBVA cards when my other cards are stored on other sites / used in person. 

I hope PNC has better security to text or call after a $130,000 charge is attempted Smiley LOL

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had it happen twice, with the most recent being last week. 

They caught to frauduelent charge of $9.XX and declined it though. 

It happens everywhere though. I think over the past year I've had fraudulent charges on a PenFed, NFCU, AMEX and BBVA cards. 

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

For several years, my employer's corporate purchasing cards were from BBVA.  Fraudulent charges were very common - and according to the accounts payable staff who managed the program, they routinely hit new cards that were still in unopened envelopes, strongly suggesting that there were insiders involved.

Our p-cards are now from US Bank.

Message 6 of 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

If you are storing the number online, don't. When I quit storing card numbers on websites I have not had any fraud at all, used to get it all the time on my Synch Chevron card. If you are not storing them online then someplace you are using it is saving the info could even be a gas pump reader if still using mag stripe. The third possibility is internal fraud, its being stolen by bank employees themselves.

Message 7 of 9
CreditJourney007
Frequent Contributor

thanks for your input all - I am going to be removing my stored cards from websites.

It just happened so randomly every time. After a long period of non use, as soon as I use it, there's fraud. The first time with this card, I hadn't used it in like three months, then used it at Costco and viola, someone stole it and used it on Amazon.

Similar situation this time again (not in person, through an app and I didn't even store the card number - so thats a real head scratcher, but oh well). At least it's fairly easy to cancel the card online. 

Message 8 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@CreditJourney007 wrote:

thanks for your input all - I am going to be removing my stored cards from websites.

It just happened so randomly every time. After a long period of non use, as soon as I use it, there's fraud. The first time with this card, I hadn't used it in like three months, then used it at Costco and viola, someone stole it and used it on Amazon.

Similar situation this time again (not in person, through an app and I didn't even store the card number - so thats a real head scratcher, but oh well). At least it's fairly easy to cancel the card online. 

Just keep in mind that a variety of times, given the sophisticated methods in which card numbers are compromised, the physical card doesn't need to be in your possession nor be used at a specific place or merchant, even if stored online.  There are several ways where card number generators are used and sold by perpetrators -- all they need is a valid one that works and voila!  So, having real-time alerts, safeguarding your stuff, monitoring things periodically (even for dormant accounts), etc., can be proactive ways to avoid some larger headaches.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.