cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOA report serious delinquency on my CLOSED credit card account over $10 dollars

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BOA report serious delinquency on my CLOSED credit card account over $10 dollars

July 2012, I went to a Bank of America branch near my residency, made a payment, withdraw cash, then requested to close all my accounts.   I was leaving the country, I don't think I can manage my bank accounts in another country.  Left in about 2 weeks after account closed.

I came back to America in August 2013, went to the same branch opened a new account.

2018, when I first pulled my credit report, I saw a $20 serious delinquency report from BOA and they are reporting it every month!!!

After 2 to 3 months communication and investigation, BOA said that was a repeat charge from Skype, charged on the same day as my account was closed, but didn't show/post on my account until a few days later.

Bank of Amercia refuse to remove this from my credit report. Can anyone tell me what should I do?

I am trying to buy a house, my banker told me I have to get this taken care of.

5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: BOA report serious delinquency on my CLOSED credit card account over $10 dollars

If the charge was authorized prior to closing, it would be proper.

Closing an account terminates consumer authorization of new charges after closure, but does not prevent reporting of delinquencies that remain on unpaid balances.  

Additionally, the charge should have been billed to the consumer in monthly billing statements, which then become disputable for 60 days after initially billed to the consumer under the dispute process provided under the Fair Credit Billing Act.  

That provided the opportunity to dispute, provided disputes were made within the 60-day period provided under the FCBA.

Did you provide them a change of address or make provisions for forwarding of your billing statements to your foreign address?

Did you receive any billing statements after your return to the U.S.?

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BOA report serious delinquency on my CLOSED credit card account over $10 dollars

I made my last payment at the time of closing.
Didn't give them my foreign address, don't really have one...
Never received any statement, any calls from BOA after I came back. Even opened a new account at the same branch, no one ever said anything about this.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

It sounds like the reporting is legitimate, although this does seem to fall into one of those gray areas where your chances of GW success would be better than average.  I would bypass the front-line CSRs who are trained to tell you "no" to these types of things and email the CEO to get the EO involved.  That way you'll get a human being to hear you out and consider all of the details of the gray situation rather than just a black and white policy.  It may take several or even many attempts to get a GW adjustment, but I think it's possible.

Definitely hit up the rebuilding forum and do some reading there about GW letters.  I think that's your best bet at this point.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/The-Saturation-Technique-Best-GW-adjustment-o...

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

It sounds like the reporting is legitimate, although this does seem to fall into one of those gray areas where your chances of GW success would be better than average.  I would bypass the front-line CSRs who are trained to tell you "no" to these types of things and email the CEO to get the EO involved.  That way you'll get a human being to hear you out and consider all of the details of the gray situation rather than just a black and white policy.  It may take several or even many attempts to get a GW adjustment, but I think it's possible.

Definitely hit up the rebuilding forum and do some reading there about GW letters.  I think that's your best bet at this point.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/The-Saturation-Technique-Best-GW-adjustment-odds/td-p/4727098

Good advice...

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Totally agree with you!! My husband is trying to do the same thing. I like your idea of getting it to as many hands as possiable.

I am also checking with Skype, requested for receipts and call logs of that year to see if this was a fraud charge. 

Tried to settle with BOA to pay this $20, but they are not willing to remove the record.

Can I file a law suit with JP court on this matter?

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.