Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back-to-back HP's from USAA

tag
W261w261
Frequent Contributor

Back-to-back HP's from USAA

I had one Visa from USAA for about 5 years, no balance for about 3 years and 4400 CL.  I applied for a Visa Sig from them, and was approved with a 12k limit.  "Pretty good," I say to myself, and so the next day I apply for a CLI on the original card.  I was warned that it would be an HP, but applied anyway.  Denied.  Now I have 2 pulls in 24 hours.  USAA was not sympathetic, even after I sent an email to president.  I thought it would be reasonable for them to remove one HP from Experian.  They declined.  Now they sit there, #'s 4 & 5, a testament to my hubris.

I read on here, that mortgage pulls within a period of time are only counted as one.  Also car shopping.  I was wondering how that actually works when some poor soul gets in there with the finance guy at a dealership and they try 15 banks?  Do they all show up on the credit report but only count as 1 pull for scoring purposes?  I notice that my 2 pulls from USAA are coded the same way.  Could this somehow sneak in as one as far as scoring goes?   Thanks.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Back-to-back HP's from USAA

Unfortunately credit card pulls don't work like auto and mortgage pulls. They're each their own individual pull and are each counted separately as far as the FICO algorithm is concerned. Even auto/mortgage pulls all show up individually, but the FICO algorithm counts them all as one when said pulls are coded properly and done within a 30 day window. 

One thing to note, though, is that if you go car/mortgage shopping and get, say, 15 pulls (to use your example) and then subsequently go apply for a credit card, the CC issuing bank may not distinguish/won't care whether those 15 prior pulls were for auto/mortgage rate shopping purposes. If they're an inquiry sensitive bank, it may result in a decline with no chance for recon. Just food for thought. 

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@W261w261 wrote:

I had one Visa from USAA for about 5 years, no balance for about 3 years and 4400 CL.  I applied for a Visa Sig from them, and was approved with a 12k limit.  "Pretty good," I say to myself, and so the next day I apply for a CLI on the original card.  I was warned that it would be an HP, but applied anyway.  Denied.  Now I have 2 pulls in 24 hours.  USAA was not sympathetic, even after I sent an email to president.  I thought it would be reasonable for them to remove one HP from Experian.  They declined.  Now they sit there, #'s 4 & 5, a testament to my hubris.

I read on here, that mortgage pulls within a period of time are only counted as one.  Also car shopping.  I was wondering how that actually works when some poor soul gets in there with the finance guy at a dealership and they try 15 banks?  Do they all show up on the credit report but only count as 1 pull for scoring purposes?  I notice that my 2 pulls from USAA are coded the same way.  Could this somehow sneak in as one as far as scoring goes?   Thanks.

@W261w261 

Just to add a bit more context to the above by @OmarGB9 -- when rate shopping such as the case of mortgages or auto finance companies, multiple inquiries (within a specific period of time) are binned together, which if coded properly and for FICO scoring purposes would not cause a detrimental impact scores-wise based on binning. With that being said, if you apply for any CC's, PLOCs and/or PL's, any multiple inquiries will be counted and considered separately by UW algorithms.

Moreover, it is well-known that USAA will not repurpose HPs when submitting multiple requests, whether a CLI and/or a new account application is involved -- even if on the same day. Not sure about the expectation in escalating to their EO/President given that you were warned and you acknowledged another HP was possible. This is their internal policy, whether we like it or not.

Message 3 of 6
W261w261
Frequent Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

Moreover, it is well-known that USAA will not repurpose HPs when submitting multiple requests, whether a CLI and/or a new account application is involved -- even if on the same day. Not sure about the expectation in escalating to their EO/President given that you were warned and you acknowledged another HP was possible. This is their internal policy, whether we like it or not.

Yes, I was warned and I knew that my CLI app came with an HP.  I figured that I had some chance of an approval. When it didn't happen I figured "let's give it a shot to the president" (I noticed we shared a college) - sort of like trying to get a baddie removed.  To USAA's credit, they do have a big box that pops up before you pull the trigger.  So my main beef is that they turned me down.  Imagine!  The 12k Sig was nice though.

Message 4 of 6
moto4man
Regular Contributor

USAA, has done some rather strange, and unpopular things over the years.  For

prior military they were the "go to" for great insurance and loans at a great rate.  Now, not so much.  I was a previous customer for well over 10 years.  In all fairness, they are still great at coverage on the insurance side of things.  But that comes at a cost...

Starting Score: 547EX
Current Score: 694EX 689EQ 696TU
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 6
W261w261
Frequent Contributor

Their web site is decidedly 2nd class compared to Navy's. Maybe 3rd class. They don't do pc's, HP's in the air everywhere, and ever since I got the Visa Sig, a regular stream of insurance junk mail. But hey, hey, what do I say? I'll absolutely take that nice12k!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.