Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance transfer from major credit card to store card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Balance transfer from major credit card to store card

Hi everyone. I know it's possible to transfer balance from store CC to regular CC, but I'm just curious is it possible to do the opposite. For example, I have a 1000$ balance on my Discover CC and I want to transfer that balance to my Lowe's CC. Would I be able to do it?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Balance transfer from major credit card to store card

No

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, Jnbmom

Message 3 of 9
getrdone1
Valued Member

I wouldn't exactly say no to the idea of transferring a balance from a bank card to a store credit card.. I just did it last week...I took a balance of $2,000 from my PNC points credit card and transferred it to my sportsmans guide credit card thru a 0% interest rate and a $0 dollar transfer fee for 18 months, essentially free money for the duration on a card i rarely use...It took about 10 days for them to get it done...since i carry no other balances i left a $5 balance on my PNC card so i don't get hit up for having no balances on any accounts as there will be a 2 week gap in reporting(AZEO)...i don't know if it can be done thru a lowes card, but maybe another store card might could do it...i would only think that it would be  helpful if you were trying to free up some cash availability if you were needing to access  more cash or the equivalent thereof...i hope this helps...in case any one is interested, this will bring my utilization on my sportsmans guide card to 29.41%...just going to check and see if it affects my score being over the 28.9% number that is used so often around here...i won't know till at least june 8 when my statement closes..

DINERS 30K...AMEX BCE 30K....BBVA AMEX 20K...NASA 20K...PENFED CASH 10K...ALLIANT REW 20K...PNC POINTS 17.5K...PENFED PLOC 15K...PENFED PLATINUM REW 40K...FIFTH THIRD 15K...BARCLAY REW 11.6K...CAP ONE VENTURE 13K...SALLIE MAE 12K...CHASE FREEDOM 7.5K...DISCOVER 35.5K...QUICKSILVER 11K...QUICKSILVER 9.4K...NATIONWIDE 10.8K...SPORTSMANS GUIDE 6.8K...EQ-850, TU-850, EX-849...BK OCT 2005...NO NEW CARDS IN OVER 2 YEARS!!!
Message 4 of 9
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

I've never seen a store card offer a balance transfer, the .main purpose of a store card is to get you to spend more at that store.

But BT offers on credit cards can be flexible, a couple years ago I used an 15 month 0% BT offer on a Barclays card to payoff a Prosper loan, saving several hundred dollars in interest.

Message 5 of 9
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

@getrdone1 wrote:

I wouldn't exactly say no to the idea of transferring a balance from a bank card to a store credit card.. I just did it last week...I took a balance of $2,000 from my PNC points credit card and transferred it to my sportsmans guide credit card thru a 0% interest rate and a $0 dollar transfer fee for 18 months, essentially free money for the duration on a card i rarely use...It took about 10 days for them to get it done...since i carry no other balances i left a $5 balance on my PNC card so i don't get hit up for having no balances on any accounts as there will be a 2 week gap in reporting(AZEO)...i don't know if it can be done thru a lowes card, but maybe another store card might could do it...i would only think that it would be  helpful if you were trying to free up some cash availability if you were needing to access  more cash or the equivalent thereof...i hope this helps...in case any one is interested, this will bring my utilization on my sportsmans guide card to 29.41%...just going to check and see if it affects my score being over the 28.9% number that is used so often around here...i won't know till at least june 8 when my statement closes..

I'm certain your Sportsman Guide card is a visa/mc.

If it's a store brand visa/mc/amex and allows balance transfers, it can be done, however, if it's simply a STORE card without those logos, BT's are not are possible.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure why anyone would want to do this anyways, as Store branded cards generally have a higher APR. Then say Discover.

Lowe's especially isn't into BTs.

There are dozens of cards out there that do offer this option, so needing to have it on a store card doen't seem that important.

Message 7 of 9
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

A "store" or "retail" card can only be used at one store or with a narrow scope of merchants. The Sportsman's Guide card mentioned above is a full-fledged Visa that can be used anywhere Visa cards are accepted.

Message 8 of 9
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@HeavenOhio wrote:

A "store" or "retail" card can only be used at one store or with a narrow scope of merchants. The Sportsman's Guide card mentioned above is a full-fledged Visa that can be used anywhere Visa cards are accepted.

That it is, but it's also a bankcard backed/issued by Comenity and that is one lender I would never transfer a large balance to considering their history (ongoing today) of shutting down cards, especially co-branded bank cards, which will leave you with an account "closed by credit grantor" and a continual ongoing 100% utility until paid in full. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.