Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of America Unauthorized Hard Inquiry

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bank of America Unauthorized Hard Inquiry

TL;DR - BoA double pulled my TU report during a recon for a CLI after I was approved.

1/24 – Request for Credit line Increase Online – Denied. Hard Inquiry.

2/24 – 30 days after the request was made, applied for reconsideration using the OLD Hard Pull. Request was APPROVED for $2,200, but was told “Because you are under the age of 21, a CLI over the phone requires written CONFIRMATION from you. Once we have the confirmation in writing, the $2,200 will be your new limit. But you are approved, and do not worry about the letter coming after the 30 days, you have already been approved.”

3/12 – Received a call in the morning from Bank of America. Provided my DOB as confirmation, and was told that there was a mistake on 2/24, and that a phone-call CLI did not require written consent, ONLY a fresh phone-call credit card application, and that the previous worker had been confused between the two. She informed me,”I’ll go ahead and approve you for that $2,200, I’m sorry you had to wait this long. Have a great day,” and I thanked her. The phone call lasted 82 seconds.

3/12- In two minutes, I had my inbox littered with emails stating that I had a new hard pull on my Transunion!!!

I am quite upset over this. I did not consent to a new hard pull, especially given that my first recon was successful! I have called the backdoor number for the analyst, though she seemed slightly against my case (stating “3/12 was outside the 30 days, but I ‘somewhat’ understand why you are upset.”). I was still polite throughout the call, and she said she would pass it to her manager, but I have no way of checking if the hard pull has been removed without paying for reports..

I think it was laziness of the worker this morning, as I’m sure the screen showed “requires new HP, 1/24 was > 30 days ago.” And she probably did not want to approach the manager and just clicked the buttons to run a report.

What would you guys recommend in this case? Contact BoA every few days? Contact Transunion? File a CFPB Complaint? Any insight would be appreciated, as I authorized the initial hard pull 1.5 months ago, but in no way did I authorize or did she incline that she would even look at my credit report in the 90 second phone call this morning.

EDIT: I filed a CFPB Complaint, received a phone call 1 week later from Bank of America, and was told to wait 2 weeks while they looked into it, and was told they would call back 4/5. They didn't call back then, and I just let it go for a long time. Today, 4/11 just rolled by, and I received a call back from the previous BoA rep who told me that he listened to the recorded phone calls, saw the misunderstanding of the employee and, since the error was on BoA's service side, they removed the hard pull! Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bank of America Unauthorized Hard Inquiry

Call BOA, if that doesn't work, dispute it on TU then CFPB.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would just let it go and move on. It's just an inquiry and IMO, there is risk of one anytime you apply, request a CLI, etc. 

Message 3 of 6
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Im with Steelers, technically, if the first 30 days after your first application expired and you reconned after 30 days of first, they have the right to repull your credit as you are seeking credit limit. If a recon isnt done within first 30 days, they often will repull your credit. Stinks but thats what happens and sometimes, listening to what a csr tells you and what actually happens are two completely different things

Id take the cli and just learn from the experience. No cli approved, recon inmediate . But i will say often times you can immediately recon and Boa still wants to repull.
Message 4 of 6
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

It’s only an inquiry - don’t lose sleep over it!

Inquiries are overrated anyway

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just an update to this post for anyone who finds this in the future:

I filed a CFPB Complaint just to see what would happen. I received a phone call 1 week later from Bank of America, and was told to wait 2 weeks while they looked into it, being told they would call back 4/5. They didn't call back then, and I just let it go for a long time. Today, 4/11 just rolled by, 4 weeks after my initial complaint and 3 weeks after my last BoA phone call, and I received a call back from the previous BoA rep who told me that he listened to the recorded phone calls, saw the misunderstanding of the employee, and, since the error was on BoA's service side, they removed the hard pull! Smiley Happy

I had given up hope on the cause, and like other posters said, tried to not lose sleep over it, and eventually I got over it now that its been a month, but this was a pleasant surprise to end my day with Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.