Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of America log in fail

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bank of America log in fail

I just received an Email from Bank Of America stating that several attempts to log into my account have failed. I don’t have any BOA accounts so I clicked the link to update my log in information. It sends you to a log in screen but the only button that is clickable is the update info button. All other links don’t work. Be careful if you get an email from BOA. If I knew how to attach photos I would show the screen shots of both the email and the screen it sends you too
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bank of America log in fail

It sounds like you received an email urging you to click a link inside the email -- and you had reason to believe that the purported sender was bogus (since you have no BOA accounts).

This is an example of something called Phishing.  It was a mistake to click that link. 

Here is an article that explains Phishing in more details.  Unsurprisingly it uses as an example someone masquerading as a trusted bank.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phishing

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AnonymousI don’t have any BOA accounts so I clicked the link to update my log in information.

This part above doesn't make much sense to me.

Message 3 of 5
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

These email scams are everywhere and take every form.

Eventually you may get one from a place you do have an account or do business sooooooo...

OP, If you already know this info, I'm glad.. I do want to post it for others, just in case. 

One of the first things to check is the greeting: Does it say "Dear Jane/John Smith or does it say something generic like; "Dear BOA account holder/customer" ?? <--- This is an immediate red flag!

Two. check for spelling and grammatical errors.. As elementary as this should be to a scammer, they very often make several mistakes..

Three. The links on the email are fake or all lead to the same place; a page for you to eagerly and naively hand over your account info to a scamming thief. 

Four; If in doubt. CALL your bank/credit union/eBay/ Paypal or whomever the impostor is claiming to be affiliated with. 

Five: NEVER click the links.. Just clicking the links can end up with a keylogger program on your device.. <--- These are bad bad juju. 

Stay safe people!!! 

Message 4 of 5
dynamicvb
Valued Contributor

This was definitely a phishing email. I agree that it was a mistake to click the link and depending on your OS and the browser used, you may have gotten a baddie on your machine in the form of a virus or malware. I would download malware bytes or another good scanner and check your machine out, especially before I logged into any financial related sites since this was what they were after.

Started Rebuild 4/2018: EX 616| TU 604| EQ 621

Current 5/28/20:

First Goal Score: 750+ Reached 3/2019

Next Goal all over 800
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.