cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of America reporting balance multiple times in a month?

tag
visualfxpro
Regular Contributor

Bank of America reporting balance multiple times in a month?

I closed last month with $50 on my secured CCR card. That got reported to all credit agencies and my credit shot up. Then I started noticing a few days later on one of my credit card credit reports it showed my current balance of $360 and I was shocked because how could they know my balance unless it was reported? I looked and no other report shows it.

Today I check CK and my score is down 3 points. Utilization is up to 4% I think. So they DID report it! Can you imagine if I had charged a big purchase? I could be at 90% or something now for a month at least! WTH man??

I wonder if it's because they were late to report my last payment. I paid off the card in October but due to me changing the reporting date, it reported my high balance all November and first week december. So I called about it. Wonder if they did not realize they reported it already and sent a new report? OMG

May 2022: TU Fico 8: 692 | EQ Fico 8: 713 | EX Fico 8: 708
NFCU Flagship Rewards $25,000 | Capitol One $750 | TD Bank $1000 | Bank of America $3000 | Wells Fargo $500 | Amazon $4000

Charge Off from 2015: Municipal Credit Union $5300 ($6500 limit)[PAID IN FULL]
Credit Age: 4 years | Inquiries (6/12/24 month): 12 mo | Debt to Income ratio: 10%
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

Re: Bank of America reporting balance multiple times in a month?

@visualfxpro wrote:

I closed last month with $50 on my secured CCR card. That got reported to all credit agencies and my credit shot up. Then I started noticing a few days later on one of my credit card credit reports it showed my current balance of $360 and I was shocked because how could they know my balance unless it was reported? I looked and no other report shows it.

Today I check CK and my score is down 3 points. Utilization is up to 4% I think. So they DID report it! Can you imagine if I had charged a big purchase? I could be at 90% or something now for a month at least! WTH man??

Personally, I wouldn't sweat it. Banks are allowed to report whenever they want. I've been with BofA since the Stone Age, and if they've ever reported my CC off-cycle, I didn't notice. As for the "month at least," I wouldn't sweat that either. It should go back to reporting on its real date, so that will cut the time right there. And a higher utilization/lower credit score really doesn't matter in the scheme of things, unless it becomes permanent. Since this will only be temporary, unless you're planning on applying for credit right now, before it goes back to normal, it shouldn't be an issue.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 2 of 3
Phana24
Regular Contributor

Re: Bank of America reporting balance multiple times in a month?

@visualfxpro wrote:

I wonder if it's because they were late to report my last payment. I paid off the card in October but due to me changing the reporting date, it reported my high balance all November and first week december. So I called about it. Wonder if they did not realize they reported it already and sent a new report? OMG

Before I got my business cards, I was changing statement dates to spread them out over the month to make keeping low UT easier.  I often got dinged with unexpected reports.  If you want to change statement dates on a card, make sure it's not in very much use during the transition.  The good news, as @SoCalGardener mentioned, is that it's only temporary, and if you maintain UT rates, you score will bounce back quickly.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.