Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bankruptcy Listed after backing out

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bankruptcy Listed after backing out

In Jan 2005, I filed for bankruptcy.  In Feb 2005 I backed out and didn't follow through with it.  But it is reported on all 3 credit reports as dismissed CH 13 bankruptcy in my public record.  Now here is the dilemma.  TransUnion and Experian are both listing several "negative items" as being dismissed CH-13 Bankruptcy or included in CH-13 bankruptcy.  Should I have the bankruptcy removed?  Or leave it since it would make the "negative items" fair game for collection agencies?
Equifax lists the bankruptcy in my public record. However; there are no negative items reported as being dismissed or included in the bankruptcy.
Thank you,
liltxrosebud
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
dallas01
New Contributor

Re: Bankruptcy Listed after backing out

your stuck with the BK for the next 7 to 10 years on you credit report. I also did the same thing. If you find out how to get it taken off let me know.
Message 2 of 7
Barry
Administrator Emeritus
Moved:

Hi DP196,

Thanks for your post, however, its content violates our User Guidelines regarding credit repair and it is therefore being deleted.

Our User Guidelines say:

Credit Repair

FICO Forums is intended to provide helpful and useful tips for managing credit and understanding FICO scoring. This is not the place to exchange credit repair advice that encourages consumers to provide untrue or misleading information to a credit bureau or lender for the purpose of raising FICO scores or otherwise improving credit ratings, credit histories or credit records. Such material may be edited or removed, and egregious or repeat offenders will be banned from future participation in FICO Forums.

-Barry

Message Edited by Barry on 04-17-2007 08:17 AM

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

My apologies.  I admit I did not read that portion of the guidelines. Smiley Surprised I assumed (wrong of me again) that "General credit issues" was an area where you could get advice.  Once again, I am sorry and it will not happen again.
Sincerely,
liltxrosebud
Message 4 of 7
Barry
Administrator Emeritus

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I too had the same thing happen when I lost my job due to illness and was unable to continue paying back the Chapter 13.    It was dismissed 9 months later in May of 2005.   I'm currently looking for other employment and find that due to the bankruptcy being listed, regardless of status of being dismissed, that I do not even qualify for an interview for most companies.   Which brings me I too find that it has the same exact impact on my credit as going thru Chapter 13 completely with the exception that creditors can now legally and rightfully pursue payment.         

Not all is lost though,...now that creditors can pursue me for payment it can allow me to negotiate the terms and amount of repayment as well as my negotiating that they at the very least report the account paid and in good standing when closed.    This seems to be improving my credit score although it doesn't remove the "attempted" Bankruptcy and its double-edged negative effects.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, now I'm really getting confused here.  You DID file the chapter 13 but were unable to follow through with your obligations in paying back  your debtors. 
My bankruptcy NEVER went to court, I backed completely out of it all together.  And I didn't file a chapter 13, I filed a chapter 7.
How can they report Chapter 13?  I'm soooooooo confused.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.