Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beginning credit score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Beginning credit score

Does anyone know what the credit score is for someone who just turns 18?  Does it start out at a certain number?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Beginning credit score

No number, their file just doesn't exist until they get their first line of credit.
Message 2 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

And to add, if you are looking to apply for credit in the future (apartment, student loans, etc.) try a student card or a secured card.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. I am curious for my daughter. She will be 18 in May and is hoping to move out (the day after she turns 18, of course  lol) and will be looking for an apartment, etc. She currently has a car but the loan is in mine and hubby's name (but she's already making payments). She will be looking to refinance that into just her name as well. I am just trying to help her prepair.
Message 4 of 8
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

I would suggest pulling her credit just in case. You can never be too safe with so much identity theft happening these days.
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value
Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955

800+ Club
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I will do that. I want to give her the advantages that I didn't have when I was her age and get her on the right track with her FICO score.
Message 6 of 8
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

That's good! Just don't let her go too nuts and open credit card all over and rack up the bills!
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value
Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955

800+ Club
Message 7 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

What my three young adult kids found was that once they had six months of credit to their names, if they had taken good care of it (NO LATES! Smiley Happy ), their scores were around 680. And this is what is reported by people who are new to the US and have to start their credit histories here from scratch.

To have a score, you have to have had a minimum of six months straight of some sort of reporting credit, and it has to have reported within the last six months. So for all practical purposes, it will take 6 months of something in her name before she has scores.

If you have a local credit union, or if she's in a college with a credit union, a card from them is a great way to start. She might have to get a secured card, where she deposits the same amount as the credit limit, but these work perfectly well in starting her credit history, and it might help her to be really focused on how seriously she needs to take credit and timely payments.

Good luck to her, and to you too, Mom! You are about to discover a whole new source of grey hairs. Smiley Tongue
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.