Did you mean: 

Best Credit Card for my score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best Credit Card for my score?

Hello,

Hopefully somoeone can help. 
 I need a credit card to build my credit.  My current FICO score is 646, and I'm wondering what card I would be able to apply for?  I'm still not quite sure about the difference between a prime and sub-prime card , but from reading these boards I gather that prime is good.  Also, I found a credit card website that reccomends cards for different scores, however the scoring goes: excellent, good, fair poor, so I guess my question is what is a 646 score equivalent to?

Thanks so much

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best Credit Card for my score?

Okay you're going to be slightly above s/p.  Have you gotten an invitation from WaMu?  Capital One is also a good starting point. 
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have gotten offers from capitol one and I believe Wamu also a couple others such as amex, I'm just nervous that I'll respond and get denied......

Isn't capitol one not a good credit card, I've heard they do something fishy when reporting your balance?  maybe my information is completely off.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

nlm74 wrote:
I have gotten offers from capitol one and I believe Wamu also a couple others such as amex, I'm just nervous that I'll respond and get denied......

Isn't capitol one not a good credit card, I've heard they do something fishy when reporting your balance?  maybe my information is completely off.

At present Cap one does not report a limit resulting in an outstanding balance making the  card look maxed out.  For the next WaMu offer ou get, I would jump on it.  They have been very good to me and my scores weren't as high as ours when I started with them  They do respond to customers who pay on time and keep utilization low by making all types of special offers over the life of your account.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

So do you think I would have no chance with say, an amex, chase, BofA, or citi card?

b.t.w thanks so much for all your help!
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

nlm74 wrote:
So do you think I would have no chance with say, an amex, chase, BofA, or citi card?

b.t.w thanks so much for all your help!

BOFA secured but probably not amex depending on what is effecting your score.  Try this site www.whogavemecredit.com and you can see the approval rate for any number of cards.  Amex, Citi and Chase may give you a card but keep in mind they have a subprime percentile too.  My friend just got the freedom and is paying over 20% APR.

A lot of people like the prestige cards but if I can get a better deal such as rewards or APR somewher else I choose not to.  I like to keep my money in my pocket. My AU got a chase offre, 21%  YIKES!!!  Actually worse than the subprime Household Bank card

Message Edited by Brammy on 04-14-2007 10:50 PM
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.