Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Credit Score sites to use???

tag
Mzjedwards1
Valued Member

Best Credit Score sites to use???

Hey everyone, I wanted to know which sites are being used to obtain accurate credit scores. I have Credit Karma , but the reviews are showing that as a FAKO score.. So what are you all using to gather the most accurate scores? I don't want to blow my budget on websites if possible. I am waiting until the middle of August before I check my current scores... Appreciate any insight...Thanks   

Garden Club Member" width="40" height="40" align="right">
Credit One Platinum $450 / Capital One Platinum: $500 / Wells Fargo Platinum: $300 /Kohls $300/ Fingerhut $500/ Total Visa $300/ Express $250/Quicksilver 500/Best Buy Visa 2000
621 Exp/675 TU/ 624 EQ.....Gardening until.........2018??
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best Credit Score sites to use???

Credit check total has a $1 trial. After the first week I think it is $30/month, but if you call to cancel it you will get a 1/2 off offer good for a year.

Personally, I did a one time check with CCT and canceled before my week was up. I use CK and the free discover report (which IS fico) to monitor for changes. When I want a new FICO update, I will do the $1 trial again. FICOs are nice, but I don't see a need to know what the actual # is every minute of my life. I know what is going on with my credit and I will check the numbers before any big decisions.

Message 2 of 8
Mzjedwards1
Valued Member

Thanks so much. I will check it out. Im not planing anything big anytime soon, I just want to check my progress and then Garden for long long while with what I have!! Thanks  again.Smiley LOL

Garden Club Member" width="40" height="40" align="right">
Credit One Platinum $450 / Capital One Platinum: $500 / Wells Fargo Platinum: $300 /Kohls $300/ Fingerhut $500/ Total Visa $300/ Express $250/Quicksilver 500/Best Buy Visa 2000
621 Exp/675 TU/ 624 EQ.....Gardening until.........2018??
Message 3 of 8
izzesparks
Frequent Contributor

I have been using credit check total and I get the FICO score 8 model, and all 3 scores and reports and so far no problems Smiley Happy

Starting Score: TU-470 4/11/19, EQ-482 4/11/19, EX-486 4/11/19
Current Score: TU-507 7/18/19, EQ-517 7/18/19, EX-508 7/18/19
Goal Score: TU-700, EQ-700, EX-700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with those that recommended CCT.  Two $1 trials per month ($2 total) yields you 4 pulls of your 3B scores... once a week.  Can't beat that for two bucks.

Message 5 of 8
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

IMO watching your credit report is more important than your actual FICO score.   CK does an admiral job for changes to your EQ and TU report.  Experian now offers a free EX and EX-08 score each month.  Plus Discover has a free EX-08 score each month. 

The following thread has the websites for the above free scores and different CU's and banks that offer FICO scores.  Not all require a credit/card loan.  Some CU's will provide free scores just for being a member.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Where-to-obtain-FREE-monthly-FICO-scores/...

Message 6 of 8
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Mzjedwards1 wrote:

Hey everyone, I wanted to know which sites are being used to obtain accurate credit scores. I have Credit Karma , but the reviews are showing that as a FAKO score.. So what are you all using to gather the most accurate scores?

All scores are accurate.  It's relevance that you need to focus on and not just FAKO versus FICO.  There are many scoring models used by creditors and they do not all use the same scoring models.  The different models evaluate report data differently and can have different scoring ranges so you can't just use a score generated by one model to determine a score generated by a different model.

If you want to know where you stand with a creditor score-wise you need to know the specific model and the CRA used in the decision for that product and then go pull that score.  If, on the other hand, you're just monitoring your credit you can use just about any model out there but you really need to look at the bigger trends versus specific numbers and specific changes between numbers.  Better yet, focus on the report data.  Learn to understand your reports and the typical weights of the different factors.  You'll need that understanding anyway in order to identify issues, work on addressing them and make progress.

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

Any scoring model uses the data in a report to generate a score so good reports will lead to good scores regardless of model.

While most creditors use a FICO there are creditors that use VantageScore 3.0 as well as other creditors that do not use a FICO.  Even with those that use a FICO they don't all use the same FICO model.  FICO has many models used by creditors.  See also the Understanding FICO Scoring subforum and its stickies.  FICO 8 is currently the most commonly used model but, again, not all creditors and products use FICO 8 in the decision making process.

Best is always highly subjective regardless of topic and you need to clearly define your requirements.  Are scores the only things that matter?  Do you not need report data?  How often do you want scores and/or reports?  Do you want regular updates or can you live with only updates based on trigger activity?  myFICO's monitoring, for example, is a trigger based service and not all activity with a scoring impact is a trigger so your reports can change an impact your scores without triggering updates from myFICO in certain situations.  How much are you looking to spend?  What specific scoring model(s) do you need?

Always provide as much info as possible and don't just assume that "best" is a universal matter.  Everyone does not use the same solutions as their needs, preferences, requirements and budgets, etc vary.  I don't use any of the pay services aside from myFICO on an as-needed basis for one-time purchases and I've only ever done that once.  I use Credit Karma for my TU and EQ report data with weekly updates.  I do get different FICO's from some of my creditors including TU FICO 8'a from Discover & Barclaycard, EX FICO 8 from AmEx, EQ FICO NG2 from PenFed, EX FICO 8 BankCard from FNBO, EX FICO 2 from NASA FCU and I should be getting an EQ FICO 8 BankCard from Citi as well.

Don't overlook existing threads as a resource as well.  Monitoring services and other sources for scores are very common topics here.  Credit Check Total and myFICO are popular options for services that provide FICO's but there are other services that people use as well (not all provide FICO's though).

@Mzjedwards1 wrote:

Credit One Platinum $450 / Capital One Platinum: $400 / Wells Fargo Platinum: $300 /Kohls $300/ Fingerhut $500/ Total Visa $300/ Express $250
Started with high 400 scores 2015

2012: BK discharged, charge offs, delinquent/closed accounts, student loans
TU: (620 as of 6/2016) / EX:624 (as of 06/2016) / EQ:629 (as of 6/16)

The scores and limits reflect that there are significant issues with your credit profile.  Don't just rely on the passage of time for your scores to improve.  The BK is something that you cannot do anything about and it will have an impact until it falls off.  However, you need to carefully research to see if you can do anything to address your derogs.  Hit the Rebuilding subforum.  You want removal of everything possible.  Check your scores when things are removed.

Message 7 of 8
righthererightnow
Frequent Contributor

I use this site (Equifax 1b monthly option)... but I have also noticed that if you request a CLI and get denied you also get your score. It's a nice way to find out your score asap (with a soft pull card).

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.