cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best and cheapest place to get credit report other than annualcreditreport.com

tag
Goal810
Established Member

Re: Best and cheapest place to get credit report other than annualcreditreport.com

Thanks, terrific summary of the options, I will look into them.

So you when you say that you do selective credit score pulls, that means that you pay the $19.95 on the My Fico site to get 1 credit score? Or you would check both for $40? Or is there a cheaper way?

Message 11 of 25
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Best and cheapest place to get credit report other than annualcreditreport.com

I'm about real-time info. Very rarely do each CRA update at the same time when a new account is added, balance updates, etc. Sometimes there are days/weeks in terms of lag. But I'll pull a new report each day via my CMS and if something changes that I think might warrant a FICO change, then I'll pull that EQ or TU FICO report vs. both at the same time (because they won't update at the same time). Usually TU is slower and I'll come back to them a couple-few days later to see that update if the CMS shows that change. And yes, it is the FICO Standard $19.95/pull. I also subscribe to TU Quarterly Monitoring and SW so I get that 20% and 30% discount respectively.

Message 12 of 25
Goal810
Established Member

So I looked into the options extensively. If it will help anyone else, I found out that anyone can get membership in Digital Credit Union by joining one of the eligible member organizations. To get the free credit score, you have to sign up for direct deposit.

Is it crazy for me to switch all my banking and direct deposit to DCU for the equifax score and open a Walmart Discover credit card for the transunion score? I can just charge a few dollars each month on it to keep it open since there is no Walmart in my area and no annual fee. I already have a Discover card, I can still open this Walmart card right?

Not eligible for the PA credit union so will have to forget about Experian. Getting monthly Equifax and Transunion scores will allow me to do some interesting experiements like jello did.

Message 13 of 25
Goal810
Established Member

I just pulled my Transunion report for free online and it doesn't give information on how to improve my score.

If I open an account with DCU and sign-up for a Walmart credit card, will I get the details on how to improve my score along with the actual scores themselves?

Thanks!

Message 14 of 25
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Goal810 wrote:

I just pulled my Transunion report for free online and it doesn't give information on how to improve my score.

If I open an account with DCU and sign-up for a Walmart credit card, will I get the details on how to improve my score along with the actual scores themselves?

Thanks!

If you pulled a TU report for free online, then know that their score(s) aren't FICO scores and the advice is FAKO-related. Ignore it. Sometimes taking a FAKO-based CMS' advice is counter-productive to FICO and can actually harm your FICO in some cases.

I never used DCU, but Wal-Mart will give the top two negative reason codes for your TU08 FICO. And of course you'll see your TU08 FICO. With DCU, I'm not sure what comes with it but you'll get your Beacon 5.0 FICO (same as on here). 

You can see more detail on your FICO reports. They show you which accounts hurt your FICO and up to the top four negative things that hurt your FICO and up to the top 4 things that help your FICO, YMMV depending on your credit. 

Message 15 of 25
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Walmart Kind of gives you information about how to improve you score....

I'll put myself on display here, I don't really care Smiley Tongue 

Example: 

FICOScore.png

It tells me that my history is short and that having a longer history would help...is that information really something I couldn't have figured out otherwise...not really. But I'm sure it has other things it tells you too if you happen to be in a different situation 

Message 16 of 25
mf91745
Established Member

I'm looking into this myself (the best way to get credit reports), for the sake of credit repair. I'm not interested in scores at this point -- just the raw credit reports.

It seems that the cheapest way to get your TU report is to buy the MyFico ScoreWatch (10-day free trial, $14.95/mo thereafter); and the best way to get EQ report is to buy the MyFico "FICO Quarterly Monitoring" package ($4.95/mo). Both are offered here: http://www.myfico.com/Products/Products.aspx. This is cheap if you cancel right after you get your reports. But I don't know if they'll let you do it again at a later time.

If you know of other cheap methods, let me know. I'm probably going to have to look at my reports fairly often, as I do credit repair.

Thanks.

Message 17 of 25
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@mf91745 wrote:

I'm looking into this myself (the best way to get credit reports), for the sake of credit repair. I'm not interested in scores at this point -- just the raw credit reports.

It seems that the cheapest way to get your TU report is to buy the MyFico ScoreWatch (10-day free trial, $14.95/mo thereafter); and the best way to get EQ report is to buy the MyFico "FICO Quarterly Monitoring" package ($4.95/mo). Both are offered here: http://www.myfico.com/Products/Products.aspx. This is cheap if you cancel right after you get your reports. But I don't know if they'll let you do it again at a later time.

If you know of other cheap methods, let me know. I'm probably going to have to look at my reports fairly often, as I do credit repair.

Thanks.

Actually reverse...SW offers monitoring of EQ and FICO Quarterly Monitoring of TU.

If scores are not important at all, then skip myFICO all together. Subscribe to a credit monitoring service somewhere. Some offer daily pulls of all 3 reports, vs. 1 in the myFICO products. Check out the Credit Monitoring Service Guide found stickied here somewhere.

Message 18 of 25
mf91745
Established Member

Found it!

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Credit-Monitoring-Service-CMS-Guide/td-p/66254...

Thanks!

It looks like EIDT and USAA are the best deals, if you want daily pulls.

Message 19 of 25
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@mf91745 wrote:

It looks like EIDT and USAA are the best deals, if you want daily pulls.

I haven't updated the list like I should have. EIDT still does daily pulls. USAA's CMS underwent some changes within the past year and I thought the daily option was still an option at a higher price, though others have corrected me. I might need an edit there.

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.