Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best credit monitoring service?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best credit monitoring service?

I am currently in the market for a new credit monitoring service.  I've been paying $25/month for Experian monitoring, but I'm not super happy with it and I don't feel like I'm getting the best bang for my buck.  I do get daily score updates on my Experian file, but Transuion and Equifax only update once every 30 days.  I would like this to be more frequent.  I'm looking for something that is reasonably priced and monitors all 3 bureaus and provides actual FICO scores, not those totally useless Vantage scores.   My husband and I are planning (hopefully) a new home purchase this coming spring or summer, so I want to stay on top of my FICO scores and be able to see everything in my file.  

Any recommendations would be much appreciated!

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Best credit monitoring service?

@Anonymous wrote:

I am currently in the market for a new credit monitoring service.  I've been paying $25/month for Experian monitoring, but I'm not super happy with it and I don't feel like I'm getting the best bang for my buck.  I do get daily score updates on my Experian file, but Transuion and Equifax only update once every 30 days.  I would like this to be more frequent.  I'm looking for something that is reasonably priced and monitors all 3 bureaus and provides actual FICO scores, not those totally useless Vantage scores.   My husband and I are planning (hopefully) a new home purchase this coming spring or summer, so I want to stay on top of my FICO scores and be able to see everything in my file.  

I use 2 things, the Experian $10 per month service, and the MyFICO $40 per month service. The MyFICO service is the most complete but it doesn't give you the daily updating that Experian provides.

I don't know anything that provides anything comparable to experian.com's daily updating across all 3 bureaus.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I use 2 things, the Experian $10 per month service, and the MyFICO $40 per month service. The MyFICO service is the most complete but it doesn't give you the daily updating that Experian provides.

I don't know anything that provides anything comparable to experian.com's daily updating across all 3 bureaus.

Wow.  I pay Experian $25/month and it only updates my Equifax and Transunion once a month!  Obviously, I'm on the wrong plan.  I would at least like to be able to get daily updates on my FICO 8 scores on all 3 bureaus.  I'm going to check Experian and see if I can find this $10/month option and change my plan.

UPDATE:  Okay, I just checked Experian and they don't offer any other plans other than the $25/month plan that I'm currenly on.  The only other option they have is to downgrade to a free membership.  Strange......

Message 3 of 21
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Wow.  I pay Experian $25/month and it only updates my Equifax and Transunion once a month!  Obviously, I'm on the wrong plan.  I would at least like to be able to get daily updates on my FICO 8 scores on all 3 bureaus.  I'm going to check Experian and see if I can find this $10/month option and change my plan.

UPDATE:  Okay, I just checked Experian and they don't offer any other plans other than the $25/month plant that I'm currenly on.  The only other option they have is to downgrade to a free membership.  Strange......

Maybe they're not offering it any more.  I don't know. It's called "Experian IdentityWorks℠ Plus" and it costs $9.99 per month plus tax. It gives daily updates of the experian report and 7 FICO scores. It's really the most useful thing I have. 

When I want to see the TU or EQ report data, I check them on Credit Karma, although of course that provides no FICO scores.

Message 4 of 21
Jordan23ww
Valued Contributor

MyFico. I've had it 2 years and absolutely love it! MyFico alerts me of any profile and score changes that occur throughout the month. Plus they give me all my updated Fico versions once a month. For me it's been worth the $40 subscription price. There's also a quarterly plan for $30 that still updates you of any changes that occur during the month too.  You only get your other Fico score versions once a quarter.  

Message 5 of 21
805orbust
Valued Contributor

Yeah, ditto.  I'm with @Jordan23ww and @SouthJamaica . The 40$ My Fico monitoring is the best available, although the credit reports are awful.  I'd have expected them to do a better job with it.  They also update like they're smoking something.  However, it, plus a periodic check of Credit Karma and the free Experian works well for me.  PLUS you get the monthly 28 mortgage, auto, and Fico 8/9 scores.

Message 6 of 21
Cowboys4Life
Frequent Contributor

I am in a diffferent camp on this issue.  I do not see the value in paying for a credit monitoring service even if contemplating a large purchase in the future.  First of all scores rarely fluctuate THAT much on a daily basis that daily pulling is needed.  I would pay MyFico for all 3 reports/scores right now as it will provide mortgage, auto, as well as bank card scores.  This will form a starting point.  Using a free service like CreditKarma even though scores are no where near accurate is useful for sudden changes.  

I have only pulled my scores when making large purchases such as a car or my home.  Spending $30 or $40 a month for "monitoring" just to get scores to me is wasted money if you are in a rebuilding or building mode.  That is money better spent on the process or paying things down than on reports that may not be helpful at all or needed yet.  Do the math:  $30/month x 12 months is $360 a year.  Buying all 3 reports is about $60.  If you can save $200-300 by purchasing your reports/scores as you really need them and put the money towards paying down debt, downpayment or other necessary debt control measures that improve scores I would do so.  It has worked for me.

Message 7 of 21
805orbust
Valued Contributor

@Cowboys4Life I am with you in spirit, but DANG!!!!  That hit of dopamine I get when I check my real FICO scores on the app!!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 21
Cowboys4Life
Frequent Contributor

@805orbust wrote:

@Cowboys4Life I am with you in spirit, but DANG!!!!  That hit of dopamine I get when I check my real FICO scores on the app!!  Smiley Very Happy

I hear you.  The point is to devote the money to the areas where it does YOU the most good not where it lines the pockets of the bureaus or a company giving you data feedback.  As far as I am concerned if it is data collected on ME that affects ME I should have unrestricted access to it when I want it. They just don't see it my way.

Message 9 of 21
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Cowboys4Life wrote:

I am in a diffferent camp on this issue.  I do not see the value in paying for a credit monitoring service even if contemplating a large purchase in the future.  First of all scores rarely fluctuate THAT much on a daily basis that daily pulling is needed.  I would pay MyFico for all 3 reports/scores right now as it will provide mortgage, auto, as well as bank card scores.  This will form a starting point.  Using a free service like CreditKarma even though scores are no where near accurate is useful for sudden changes.  

I have only pulled my scores when making large purchases such as a car or my home.  Spending $30 or $40 a month for "monitoring" just to get scores to me is wasted money if you are in a rebuilding or building mode.  That is money better spent on the process or paying things down than on reports that may not be helpful at all or needed yet.  Do the math:  $30/month x 12 months is $360 a year.  Buying all 3 reports is about $60.  If you can save $200-300 by purchasing your reports/scores as you really need them and put the money towards paying down debt, downpayment or other necessary debt control measures that improve scores I would do so.  It has worked for me.

Just to clarify, I wasn't recommending purchasing anything, I was just saying what information I get from the 2 services. I personally find the experian.com service to be a good value.  I think the MyFICO service is way overpriced.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.