cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to raise score what to pay off or pay down in your opinion?

tag
ttonnka3

Best way to raise score what to pay off or pay down in your opinion?

Hello,

I want to raise my score in my opinion what should I pay off or pay down? to raise score?

Below are my CC(Credit card) balances and credit lines....

Personal Unsecured loan-$2400.00 (1820.00 current balance)

Credit Card1-2500.00 (2200 balance)

CreditCard2-1750.00 (580 balance)

Credit Card 3-500.00 (0 balance)

Creit Card4-5000.00 (2940.00 balance)

CreditCard5-1000.00 (0 balance)

creditcard6-1200.00(0 balance)

credit card7-5000.00(1750.00 balance)

Credit card8-1000.00(0 balance)

I also have a mortgage that is current

I have No negative accounts,late payments etc.... nothing in collections etc...

Any help would be appriciated thank you

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Best way to raise score what to pay off or pay down in your opinion?

Note that utilization (Amounts Owed) is the second biggest slice:

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

Max recommended utilization is 30% and both individual and overall matter.  Ideal is going to be 10% or less.  Definitely get the cards with high utilization down.  Card 1 is nearly maxed out at 88%.  Card 4 is also high at 59%.  Your other cards with balances are also over 30%.  Get the cards with high utilization down as soon as possible.  If a creditor takes adverse action you'll be in even worse shape.

Message 2 of 3
LianaCCB

Re: Best way to raise score what to pay off or pay down in your opinion?

Generally the bureaus like to see debt between 30% and 35% of your limits. For example, if you have a card for $10,000 your balance should be around $3,500.

It can be difficult to pay accounts off entirely, but as long as you're making "aggressive payments" - which are payments OVER the minimum monthly payment, that will help not only boost your credit scores, but also help build the relationships with your credit lenders.

You can also try consolidating your debt to one or two accounts. If you have a couple of accounts all with balances, try moving a majority of the debt onto ONE card. If you have a good 0% intro APR or a lower interest rate, utilize that to consolidate the debt from your other higher-interest accounts.

Liana
4+ years of experience in the business credit industry
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.