cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better to take the hard pull to get more payment history?

tag
Dyerseve336

Better to take the hard pull to get more payment history?

So, I'm wondering if it's better for me, (rebuilding credit that was non existent for years) to take a hard pull for a card (cap one Quicksilver one) that I've been pre approved for, or to wait. I've got 2 hp on TransUnion, one on Equifax. Score of 697 TU. Avg credit age is 11 months. Total credit line right now is 1800. I have 1 hp that will fall off of tu and Equifax in 1 yr. The other tu hp will come off in about 18 months. My though process is, take the HP now and the dent to my score in order to have a higher credit line and better credit utilization, as well as another account that will be reporting good payments. (I always pay in full every month, never late.). Then in 1 yr my hp is back to 2 anyway, and 1 in 6 months after that. I figure this is overall better for my score 1 yr from now. Am I wrong? Thoughts? Thanks ahead of time!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Better to take the hard pull to get more payment history?

Cap one preapprovals are pretty solid, but you will get inquires. Do you have any other cards?

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 4
Dyerseve336

Yes I got an indigo card (gonna get rid of asap). A credit one card and a petal card. The credit one isn't that bad and has a higher cl but both it and indigo have 100 annual fees. So I'd really prefer to drop one for a lower annual fee and cash back.
Message 3 of 4
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Dyerseve336 wrote:
Yes I got an indigo card (gonna get rid of asap). A credit one card and a petal card. The credit one isn't that bad and has a higher cl but both it and indigo have 100 annual fees. So I'd really prefer to drop one for a lower annual fee and cash back.

Well I think  would get the card and dump indigo,  they never raise your initial 300 limit. I would then keep paying on time with those 3 cards and build some history. And not apply for any others for atleast 6-12 months.

Do you have any negatives?

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.