Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bill sent to collections because clinic forgot to charge my card

tag
2018VolvoS90
Established Member

Bill sent to collections because clinic forgot to charge my card

Hello everyone. I'm trying to figure out the best course of action here. I just had an account hit collections on my report that should have never gone to collections and is only in collections because of a mistake the clinic the made. 

This is what I put in the dispute with transunion. Can the original creditor pull it back from collections as this was their mistake. Furthermore will transunion actually let something like this stand and be on my credit report when they had my card and just didn’t run it which is not something I can do nor is it my job.

In March of 2021, I was seen at an Urgent Care in Connecticut. It was around closing time and they had already shut down their credit card machine for the night. They took a copy of my credit card number and said they would run it the next day and email me a receipt. I never received a receipt in my email. I then received a bill from them about 2-3 months later, I called the Urgent Care at the time and explained that I had provided my credit card information at the time of service and that their employee said that they would run it. I was unsure of why they never ran it and why I am receiving a bill when I as the patient provided them with all of the necessary information for them to run my credit card for my copay. The manager that I spoke to at the time apologized about the inconvenience and about them not running my card for my copay. Due to it being $50 she said they would just have billing take care of it and it would be a $0 balance. On September 2, 2022, I received an email saying that an account has been placed in collections. I reached out to the Urgent Care which as of December 2021 no longer exists, so I spoke to the place that is there now. I was provided with a phone number for urgent cares billing company  of xxx-xxx-xxxx which when you call it goes to an automated voicemail. I then googled Experrity Billing and called them on their phone number on their site at xxx-xxx-xxxx . I was then given the following phone number which I was told it was for the Urgent Care billing xxx-xxx-xxxx  which is the phone number for a Ford Dealership in Georgia. The original creditor is unable to be reached, furthermore, I as the patient had provided them the information for payment of my co-pay at the time. Their employee did not run my card, that is not something that I can prevent or do anything about. I had offered to pay it when I spoke to the manager, but they said they were going to take care of it due to the inconvenience. I was able to finally get ahold of someone at Experrity health and spoke to a supervisor at Experrity health on September 2nd, 2022 at around 12:40PM who confirmed that she does see on my file that they scanned a copy of my card in but that they never charged it. She said she can file a dispute with the clinic which is done over email. I am in the middle of buying a house right now. I as a patient did everything I was supposed and more. I provided the card for my copay, I followed up with the clinic when I got the bill showing there was still a balance 2-3 months later and was told that it would be taken care. Then more than a year later I get a notification that there is an account in collections on my credit report. I have no problem paying the $50, its $50, what I do have an issue with is that I did everything I was supposed to do, which is further validated by you having a copy of my card scanned into my file, you as a provider did not do everything you should have done and this has now made my credit score decrease 35 points. My issue is that this is now showing as a collections on my credit report even though I did everything I was supposed to do correctly.

8 REPLIES 8
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Re: Bill sent to collections because clinic forgot to charge my card

You shouldn't have disputed. Contact clinic, explain situation, and ask them to recall from CA.

Message 2 of 9
2018VolvoS90
Established Member

The clinic no longer exists. The phone number the billing department has for them is for the place that is now where they used to be. The only way the billing department can get ahold of them is via email

Message 3 of 9
2018VolvoS90
Established Member

And even if they were to recall it, isn't it up to the CA if they remove it from my report unless the credit bureau rules in my favor

@blindambition wrote:

You shouldn't have disputed. Contact clinic, explain situation, and ask them to recall from CA 

Message 4 of 9
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

@2018VolvoS90  One thing to remember is that  the collection agency is hired by the company that is doing the billing. There are provisions in the contract with the collection agency that if orginal creditor in error sends account to collections it can be recalled by the original creditor and their credit reporting will be removed. Since you have disputed the account show proof date and time and you you spoke with.  That you made attempts with the clinic to pay the debt.  If you can show the phone call from a bill print the screen showing you mde the call (s) you might have a chance. Without proof I am not sure how the outcome of your dispute will turn out. Continue to try to contact the billing department.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 5 of 9
RonelTheGeek

Yeah I think disputing it with the CRA's does more damage in this case , I would bring this up with the CFPB, to see if they can help as well.  The issue here is you have no receipt showing payment and word of mouth from the workers at the clinic . It's always best to follow up 2-3 days in situations like this , never leave it in the hands of workers who are prone to forget things . Good luck , I think you will get this resolved , just takes time and a lot of phone calls

Message 6 of 9
2018VolvoS90
Established Member

So I ended up speaking to the CA and got an email from them stating that if I pay it in full it will be deleted from my report within 30 days. The original creditor who I eventually did get ahold of their billing department wouldn't put in writing that them recalling it would get it removed so I paid the CA and have it in writing that it would be deleted wothin 30 days (1 cycle) and if they don't follow through I can dispute it and have the email to provide to the credit bureaus showing that they said they would delete it. 

Message 7 of 9
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

This is all very unfortunate the way it turned out, and I truly hope the CA follows through on their word, but you really should've followed up with the clinic the day after/the next couple of days to ensure they really did run your card like they said they would. 

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 8 of 9
Inspiredman
Valued Member

I truly hope the CA follows through on their word,

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.