Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bittersweet day...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bittersweet day...

Well...Day started off good with an 1,300 dollar approval for the Barclays Rewards card..Check the mailbox,turns out I owe about 15k in back child support lol. I know once that hits my credit,it's gonna take a huge hit.

I retained a lawyer for dealing with the back support being demanded,will it really do any major damage to me long term? I have every intention and ability to pay it in payments. Also,does paying it on time each month do anything for me? I know if you don't it makes it worse.Any help on this would be very appreciated.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bittersweet day...

@Anonymous wrote:
Well...Day started off good with an 1,300 dollar approval for the Barclays Rewards card..Check the mailbox,turns out I owe about 15k in back child support lol. I know once that hits my credit,it's gonna take a huge hit.

I retained a lawyer for dealing with the back support being demanded,will it really do any major damage to me long term? I have every intention and ability to pay it in payments. Also,does paying it on time each month do anything for me? I know if you don't it makes it worse.Any help on this would be very appreciated.

My boyfriend owes a ton in back child support. He has no other credit accounts (literally, until about three weeks ago when I made him an authorized user on three of my credit cards, the child support was the only account on his credit report) and he has excellent credit. He has not missed a payment in over 6 years and the child support account appears as an installment loan on his reports. The payments are taken directly from his paycheck, and ufortunately, for reasons I don't understand (mistakes?), he has a couple of 30 day lates on his account. Regardless, the amount of on time payments he has made minimize the ding of the couple of inaccurate 30 day lates. His score is around 740.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info,it's greatly appreciated.I'm glad to see at least it is beneficial as long as you pay.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just finished paying 14 years worth of child support via payroll deduction. It'll show up on your CR as an item and "pays as agreed" as long as you're making the payments. Good luck!

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

God forbid me from such headache...

Wish you the best of luck man.
Message 5 of 7
savingmoney87
Regular Contributor

Great Information. I never heard of child support showing up on a CR unless it was delinquent in which case would do damage but it's great news that as long as your making makes it won't show up as delinquent but paid as agreed. I agree with CaliBrah323!!!

]
Message 6 of 7
Kirmie2010
Established Contributor

Since you are going to pay, the revoking drivers licence, warrant for arrest wont happen!  Thats good Smiley Happy

If you pay on time, its like nothing is there its just a monthly payment you make.  So paying on time doesnt really do anything for you other than keep the balance you owe down.

If you miss a payment, I have no idea Smiley Sad  Ive never missed any.

My wifes ex has never paid, owes about 25k.  Hes got no licence anymore(revoked by state for non payment), warrant for arrest (due to non payment) and quits every job he starts.  (once the state finds him)

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.