Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black Market Website Surveillance Warning

tag
Swordfish20
Valued Member

Black Market Website Surveillance Warning

I just received another alert for black market website surveillance.  Have received two previously, all the same.  The name is wrong, the address is wrong, the email is wrong.  The only thing that matches it to me is the phone number.  I changed all my financial passwords the last time I got this warning as a preventative measure but is it a problem if the only correct information is my phone number?  Never heard of the person's name.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Black Market Website Surveillance Warning

I got my monthly black market surveillance notification today, and like yours, everything is different expect the phone number. I get calls and text messages for the individual whose name is listed on the report. Just figured she had my phone number some time ago. 

Message 2 of 6
Iusedtolurk
Established Contributor

Re: Black Market Website Surveillance Warning

@Anonymous wrote:

I got my monthly black market surveillance notification today, and like yours, everything is different expect the phone number. I get calls and text messages for the individual whose name is listed on the report. Just figured she had my phone number some time ago. 

Safe assumption about the phone number because people usually obtain several numbers across the years. My kids change their numbers like they change their underwear.

Not me though I have had the same cell phone number for 20 years.  My mother had the same house number 50 years until she passed.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Black Market Website Surveillance

This morning my email inbox was  filled with Black Market Website Surveillance from My FICO Member Services, Identity Alert: Your Info on the dark web.......This has never happened before, have no clue what to do. I opended on, dates are back 5 or more years. I am quickly coming to the realization that you don't know who to trust today, better to end all use of technology, computers, websites, return to pen and paper, and if that does not work, then get by the best way possible however with cash. This would mean not being able to do business with 99% of what we are doing today. Not saying I will do this but sure don't trust today's technology regardless of the name. Excuse my venting.

Message 4 of 6
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: Black Market Website Surveillance

Due to my local banks new terms and conditions for online banking and mobile banking, I am back to the old fashioned way to do things.  

The other day I went through drive thru (lobby is closed due to covid) and gave them about 5 transactions to do.  Two were cash deposits. Just smiled.  Teller asked why I don't just do all of this on mobile banking.  I said I don't have mobile banking.  She was NOT amused.  But hey, can't do cash deposits with mobile banking anyways.  There was NO one else in drive thru during my visit.

It's quickly coming to that - me going back to old school/being offline.  My internet connect is a challenge.

Message 5 of 6
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: Black Market Website Surveillance

@Anonymous wrote:

This morning my email inbox was  filled with Black Market Website Surveillance from My FICO Member Services, Identity Alert: Your Info on the dark web.......This has never happened before, have no clue what to do. I opended on, dates are back 5 or more years. I am quickly coming to the realization that you don't know who to trust today, better to end all use of technology, computers, websites, return to pen and paper, and if that does not work, then get by the best way possible however with cash. This would mean not being able to do business with 99% of what we are doing today. Not saying I will do this but sure don't trust today's technology regardless of the name. Excuse my venting.

I have gotten a few of these over the years and they always terrify me.    These are the things to try to protect myself:
1.  Check every account, credit or checking/savings every day.

2.  Change all passwords for every creditor, Paypal, and airline mile accounts monthly (I have a lot of miles).

3.  I always opt in for two-factor authentication if it's offered.   I even do this for Credit Karma.

4.  I always have my credit cards frozen/locked unless I unlock for a specific credit app.

5.  I have an extended 7-year fraud alert on all three bureaus.   That black market data was enough for them to do it.   Yes, you will always have to furnish ID when applying for credit, but it's a small price to pay for ID theft.

I'm old and long for the good old days, but they are not coming back so I'm trying to do all I can to protect myself.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.