cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BofA lied about hard pull, what can I do?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BofA lied about hard pull, what can I do?

I have a BofA cash rewards that my husband is an AU on. He is an immigrant and building his credit so I decided to add him as a joint account holder because he has no cards himself. When I called BofA they spoke with him and myself, and when the agent started asking me questions about my income I asked him "are you going to pull my credit" his response was "absolutely not" so I proceeded and my husband was approved.

I hung up the phone and saw an alert that there was a change to my TU credit report... BofA had pulled my credit.

I called them back and the agent gave me some canned answer along the lines of "when we do business sometimes we have to pull credit and it's your responsibility to know when we will and won't" and I told her I asked the agent point blank and he said "absolutely not" and she didn't care and she wouldn't do anything. I spoke with her manager who told me because of the holiday I'd have to call back tomorrow because there wasn't anyone there that I could speak with, but that she wasn't making any promises.

The worst part of all of this is that my husband was preapproved for the cash rewards card already, I just went this route because it would make everything easier for us being in one place. Had I known we both would have had a HP I would have just told him to get the card on his own.

Is there anything I can do?

Sidenote: I also noticed that Comcast pulled my credit TWICE when I signed up (one a day after the other), I know they don't have to explicitly tell you they're doing it, but twice is a bit excessive... do I have ANY recourse?

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
HighAchiever
Established Contributor

Re: BofA lied about hard pull, what can I do?

I don't know if you do, but I hope someone can answer, because that sounds like some real shady practices taking place with that employee!!!

“Most people work just hard enough not to get fired and get paid just enough not to quit.”
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Inquiries: Experian - 4 | Equifax - 3 | TransUnion - 3

Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HighAchiever wrote:

I don't know if you do, but I hope someone can answer, because that sounds like some real shady practices taking place with that employee!!!

Probably just an uninformed employee. 

I know it doesn’t help your situation, but whenever I do “Credit things”, I always go into them understanding that a HP is certainly a possibility no matter what someone tells me or past history tells me. If I’m not willing to give up an HP, I forgo that credit thing. 

Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wait until tomorrow and see if a different person can clear it up and if they can't then dispute it with TU.

Comcast / utilities normally do a SP for ID Verfication.  You should contact them and have them recoded as SP and if they don't then go forward with a dispute.

Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Wait until tomorrow and see if a different person can clear it up and if they can't then dispute it with TU.

Comcast / utilities normally do a SP for ID Verfication.  You should contact them and have them recoded as SP and if they don't then go forward with a dispute.

As a word of caution, I’d be careful with disputing valid HPs. In this regard, a valid HP is one done by permissible purpose (legal definition). Both the BOA and Comcast HPs certainly have permissible purpose. If you can get the lender to recode them, go for it. 

Message 5 of 22
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Joint account = HP cause it is a new app.

The rep was probably confused with an AU TBH, joint accounts aren’t common and most people don’t really recommend them anyway... if you get into trouble on that account it affects both of your credit files, with no easy removal like an AU.

        
Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

As a word of caution, I’d be careful with disputing valid HPs. In this regard, a valid HP is one done by permissible purpose (legal definition). Both the BOA and Comcast HPs certainly have permissible purpose. If you can get the lender to recode them, go for it. 

Not saying I'd ever dispute something valid, but for what reason should I be careful disputing valid HP's? Just curious, what would be the worst that could happen from doing so?

Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Actually Comcast does an HP whenever there is equipment involved. Policy when I worked there was DVRs and digital voice modems or >2 regular cable boxes. Internet only was the only time you could be guaranteed no HP but with the expense of the new gigabit gateways approaching DVR levels of cost, they could have changed that as well. 

Since the OP got hit with two, it would seem that the workorder got canceled for some reason whether there was a mistake by the rep who put it in or the OP changed their mind about something in the order which required it to be canceled and rebuilt to get the promo codes again and as a result of the cancellation the rep was forced to run a credit check a second time and ran it as a HP. It happens but it’s next to impossible to get corporate to do anything about them. 

Message 8 of 22
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

OP, Im confused...first you said "AU", then shortly after "joint". Which one was it?

I agree with Rev and what he said. You might also check his reports too, he might have the "joint" account, and his new account. Joint accounts are also where both parties are responsible for the charges. In an AU account, only the cardholder is responsible.
Message 9 of 22
chrisw1968uk
Frequent Contributor

These companies are quick enough to tell you that the calls may be recorded for training purposes - use this to your advantage. If a Manager hears the cs rep tell you "absolutely not" then they may do something for you?

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.