cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BofA lied about hard pull, what can I do?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BofA lied about hard pull, what can I do?

@chrisw1968uk wrote:

These companies are quick enough to tell you that the calls may be recorded for training purposes - use this to your advantage. If a Manager hears the cs rep tell you "absolutely not" then they may do something for you?

Companies will hardly ever pull a recording to verify what a customer is saying is correct or not unless it’s a serious transgression. A HP is nothing in the grand scheme of things, it’s not even worth fighting with them over. 

Message 11 of 22
kdm31091
Super Contributor

A joint applicant is different from an authorized user in that they share responsibility for the account. So to me, a HP would be expected for this process because they're basically applying for the account alongside you, even if it's not a new account.

I doubt there's really any recourse, unfortunately, and don't think one HP is worth fighting over.

Message 12 of 22
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Penfed slapped me 2 times with hard pulls for a loan i applied even though i applied for only one loan , there system made it look like 2 . I didnt even fight it, sighed, chalked it up to another fantastic bad PF experience and moved on. Not entirely same as your situation but just note that hps happens and eventually will fall off. We learnSmiley Wink
Message 13 of 22
Remedios
Credit Mentor

HP is really a cost of doing business. Most of us  loathe them, I know I do, but whenever we're asking for credit and/or utilities (post paid services in general), we should expect them to happen. 

If they don't, party time. If they do, nothing that can be done about it really. 

If one is excessively applying for everything under the sun, a few HPs are nothing alarming and really not worth dwelling on. 

I would just like to add that I've come to expect more accurate answers here than from calling CSR, so maybe in the future, just run your question by members before making the call. Just a thought. 

Message 14 of 22
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

I thought this was well settled long ago. For any newcomers who haven't reserched the forums on this (and all should really) most if not ALL seasoned members are fully aware that when BofA requests are either mistaken or in this case pushed through as an approval, it doesn't matter if the CSR tells you the sun will shine tomorrow, you can COUNT ON IT being a HP. Even CLI requests i been doing for years with them is an automatic HP and that's just the facts the way they conduct those.

Seems there was some misunderstanding during the discussion and the CSR for however they took it, pushed the Approval through. And an approval always equals HP with BofA.

That being said there are still times some cardholders get lucky and discover a SP increase but those are pretty rare all in all.

There's not much that can be done now IMHO although some will dial them up anyway and maybe get a different result after all.

But if he really did get approved i would just eat the HP since it's possible there was an approval from what i understand.

I would ensure the approval is there FIRST-AND IF NOT or OTHERWISE, you might have something to further discuss yet with them over that.

If ever in doubt with any CSR during a conversation where you feel there's a line that might be crossed that you prefer not to find to your favor, it's always best to end the call and call back again to a different person. This has happened a lot for many of us when it seems the CSR doesn't understand exactly what we intend or expect.

There are some Lenders who may and do pull back and reset things for you, and that might be what you would prefer, but it's up to you to call another department and explain that you was told ("it would not be a HP") by that CSR and if it means that much simply explain your side of the matter calmly and politely as you can.

Message 15 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update: BofA confirmed my credit shouldn't have been pulled and has removed the hard pull.

After requesting to be escalated to managers and different departments I finally spoke with the department over credit inquires. The first CSR said my credit should have been pulled, she was sorry but there was nothing she could do. I requested to speak with her manager and explained my situation to her manager and her immediate response was "your credit absolutely should not have been pulled, I'll get it recoded as a soft pull." I was a bit shocked and requested confirmation of this in writing which I have also received. She said they would recode it as a soft pull, but I've sent a copy of the letter to the credit bureau requesting they remove the inquiry anyway.

I really enjoy this forum and have learned a lot credit here, but so many of the responses in this thread were not helpful, not constructive, and potentially harmful to my credit. Instead this thread is filled with so many responses from contributors who just wanted to parrot the same talking points talking at me about how I should have known this interaction from BofA would be a hard pull. We all start somewhere and some of you in this thread were downright rude, and also wrong. If I had listened to you I never would have pursued this further and the inquiry would still be sitting on my credit report. It's only a few points, but it's a few points I wouldn't have right now had I listened to some of you.

Message 16 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you pursue Comcast?

I just had BBT recode an improper hard pull.
Message 17 of 22
HighAchiever
Established Contributor

Glad to hear you got the inquiry removed!!! Congratulations 🎉 😎
“Most people work just hard enough not to get fired and get paid just enough not to quit.”
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Inquiries: Experian - 4 | Equifax - 3 | TransUnion - 3

Message 18 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Did you pursue Comcast?

I just had BBT recode an improper hard pull.

I did. They were absolutely awful to deal with. 

The account manager who signed me up is ignoring my emails, everyone I spoke to on the phone was rude, ill informed and totally unwilling to help. In the end they'll take one of the HP's off, but not both and they won't budge even if I offered to pay a deposit. Really poor customer service on their part, but I don't think anyone would find that surprising.

Message 19 of 22
zerofire
Valued Contributor

Typical BoA, occasionally making mistakes but always finding a way to make it right in the end. They once were the biggest bank in the US by deposits until JP Morgan Chase ran past them. With them it never hurts to ask as a rep that can do something will happily do so.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.