cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA called and I got mad- did i just affirm debt?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CA called and I got mad- did i just affirm debt?

I had a missed call today from Fin Asset Management. Had no idea who or what they were so I called I asked "What is this call regarding?" .I was asked to verify my DOB before they would tell me the nature of the call. I hesitated but that was the only way I would know what the call was regarding. Turns out they were a 3rd party collector for a private loan from Navient. The debt has long gone been off my reports and past the IL SOL. I could not believe these vultures were calling during a pandemic when many have lost jobs food etc.Which is basically all i said to the agent- " Youre calling me about a debt during these crazy times? When I am on my deathbed? You can go to the cemetary if you are trying to get money from

me!" She spoke over me accusing me of "Not paying the debt that you owe".  Thats all that was said and I hung up. Now im worried she will think i admitted to the debt being mine. Am i in danger of being sued, or having this crap reappear on my reports? Im hoping Robert especially will

chime in! TIA!!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: CA called and I got mad- did i just affirm debt?

@Anonymous wrote:

I had a missed call today from Fin Asset Management. Had no idea who or what they were so I called I asked "What is this call regarding?" .I was asked to verify my DOB before they would tell me the nature of the call. I hesitated but that was the only way I would know what the call was regarding. Turns out they were a 3rd part collector for Navient. The debt has long gone been off my reports and past the IL SOL. I could not believe these vultures were calling during a pandemic when many have lost jobs food etc.Which is basically all i said to the agent- " Youre calling me about a debt during these crazy times? When I am on my deathbed? You can go to the cemetary if you are trying to get money from

me!" She spoke over me accusing me of "Not paying the debt that you owe".  Thats all that was said and I hung up. Now im worried she will think i admitted to the debt being mine. Am i in danger of being sued, or having this crap reappear on my reports? Im hoping Robert especially will

chime in! TIA!!

Navient? Is this a student loan? If so, federal or private? If federal, there is no SOL even if it is no longer on your reports. 

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Private

Message 3 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

What is your state of residence?

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Illinois....

Message 5 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

It would ultimately be up to a judge to rule on whether any statements constitute an admission of the legitimacy of the debt, and thus might act to reset the running of the statute of limitations on the asserted debt.

However, I dont see how simply referring to the debt upon which they are calling is in any way an admission as to its legitimacy.

I would be confident, if need arises, to simply state that you were only referring to an asserted debt, and had no intent of admission to its legitimacy.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you as always. You must be a lawyer,

Take care and I hope you are well

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.