Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CFPB complain against Experian

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CFPB complain against Experian

I complained to Ford about the ridiculous errors they were reporting on my account.  In response they revised 22 items on my Experian report.  I beleive when the # of errors are so extreme the tradeline should just be deleted.  Experian should not allow the ridiculous changes.  Experian is near impossible to reach on the phone, has anyone had success filing a complaint through CFPB?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: CFPB complain against Experian

Experian is only reporting the data provided by the creditor.  If that data is incorrect, then your dispute is with the creditor.  Experian provides an opportunity for the creditor to fix errors when you submit a dispute through the bureau - the bureau doesnt determine whether an account should be removed due to excessive corrections.

Is the account now accurate after the 22 revisions? 

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply, the credit bureaus have an obligation to ensure the information reported is accurate.  I have since talked to Experian, they have no record of any previous dispute I filed or any changes in the past year.  The only thing they see is a request to remove dispute comments 2 weeks..... but I didnt previously file a dispute....i guess 2+2 is not 4.  No the information is still not accurate.  There is also a comment on my report that info has been updated from a redispute in May of 2020.  If the dispute process worked the errors would have been corrected the 1st dispute.  I am going to file a complaint and see what happens, I have the 2 reports and dispute comment removal paperwork.  The report still has a ton of wrong info but what's the point of disputing they just say it's all correct.....

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

... has anyone had success filing a complaint through CFPB?

I have. Twice. But not against Experian -- they were the symptom, not the disease.

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I've also been going round and round with Ford.  Just trying to hit it from both sides.

Message 5 of 16
thornback
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks, I've also been going round and round with Ford.  Just trying to hit it from both sides.

So then perhaps do a CFPD complaint against Ford.  

I completely understand your point (and I know it's frustrating), but the thing is, credit bureaus ensure accurate info is reporting by verifying the data with the creditor - they don't have access to your internal account data with the creditor so all they can do is send a verification request.  So it's like a vicious circle of you said, they said -- and they said almost always wins.    If you open a complaint against Experian -- they're going to follow the same dispute procedure of contacting Ford - and you're likely to get the same results. 

However, in your complaint against Ford, you can provide the proof you have of past disputes and innaccurate reporting (include a bullet point summary of everything wrong with the tradeline) and demand that, at this point, they remove the tradeline due to continued innacuracies post-bureau dispute(s). You've done everything you could to get them to accurately report and they failed, so now you want complete removal.   This is your best bet. 

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 6 of 16
Remedios
Credit Mentor

EX (and other CRAs) are nothing but custodians of records. 

There is nothing they can or will do without a response from the lender (though, they will remove if lender doesnt respond in specified period of time). 

If there are inaccuracies on your CR, they are  coming from the lender, and sometimes consumer thinks that accurate reporting is inaccurate because they dont quite understand how it works.

I would do as @thornback suggested, while at the same time ensuring that what you think is inaccurate, really is inaccurate. 

Another thing to keep in mind, sometimes lates fall through cracks, or lender reports 30 day, instead of 60 day. 

When you dispute,  you're technically asking for account audit, during which additional inaccuracies are found and reported. 

In order to successfully complete this dispute or complaint, this time around the burden of proof will be on you, as you did not get desired outcome from automated process. 

Good luck 

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys, I sent a very aggressive email today to Ford but I meant what I said.  It will cost me 2k to move forward with a suit but I am willing.

"Good Afternoon,

I reviewed my credit reports and found 22 corrections to the Experian report since my previous email.  This is quite an aggressive revision to try and match the reports, unfortunately there are still significant errors.  If the tradeline is not deleted within the next 7 days (May 28th) I will hand over to the FCRA Attorney and we will be pursuing punitive damage.  Your correction of the 22 errors will be considered as acknowledgement of my communications and admittance of 22 errors that in turn has caused financial hardships.  Again, we can consider this matter settled if the tradeline is deleted from all 3 bureaus before May 28th.

If you would like to provide me with another email address for further discussion, I will be glad to adjust the communications.  Thank you for your time with this matter."
Message 8 of 16
thornback
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks guys, I sent a very aggressive email today to Ford but I meant what I said.  It will cost me 2k to move forward with a suit but I am willing.

"Good Afternoon,

I reviewed my credit reports and found 22 corrections to the Experian report since my previous email.  This is quite an aggressive revision to try and match the reports, unfortunately there are still significant errors.  If the tradeline is not deleted within the next 7 days (May 28th) I will hand over to the FCRA Attorney and we will be pursuing punitive damage.  Your correction of the 22 errors will be considered as acknowledgement of my communications and admittance of 22 errors that in turn has caused financial hardships.  Again, we can consider this matter settled if the tradeline is deleted from all 3 bureaus before May 28th.

If you would like to provide me with another email address for further discussion, I will be glad to adjust the communications.  Thank you for your time with this matter."

Well, I, for one, am interested in hearing how this turns out.  Good luck - hope it ends in your favor (without a lawsuit)!  Be sure to keep us updated please, if you don't mind. 

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will let you know, I dont like reading the stories wo knowing how it ended.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.