Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CK says my TU and EQFX both tanked 100+ pts each, but give no reason why

tag
StevieK
Established Member

CK says my TU and EQFX both tanked 100+ pts each, but give no reason why

Just got my first credit card after having issues in 2013, a Capital One Platinum with a $3K credit limit.  I have been paying it off early and in full for 4 months now, and checking CK a couple of times per month.

Well, this month I had a huge surprise, my credit scores for Transunion and Equifax both dipped more than 100 points each, going from ~740 to ~625. 

When I click on "See what's changed," I get this for both reporting agencies:

We found no changes to your Transunion credit report.

We know it can be jarring when scores change but you don’t see why.
     A few score factors are more 'invisible' — like an account getting older
     or a scoring model adjusting its recipe.
     Expecting a change that you don’t see?
     Transunion may not have updated your report yet.

So what the heck happened?!?  Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: CK says my TU and EQFX both tanked 100+ pts each, but give no reason why

Hi Stevie,  welcome to the forums! 

Did your FICO scores drop? 

Credit Karma scores are of the Vantage 3 model and respond differently to changes to your overall credit than FICO; it is common to see a drastic difference (higher / lower) between your FICO and Vantage scores (Vantage scores also tend to rebound from unexplained drops fairly quickly).   FICO is what lenders use to evaluate your credit, not Vantage.  CK is good for monitoring changes to your reports, but the scores may be ignored as they do not factor into credit decisions.    You should be monitoring your FICO scores -- be concerned if you experience a 100 point FICO drop. 

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 2 of 6
StevieK
Established Member

What is the most cost-effective way of monitoring FICO scores?

Message 3 of 6
thornback
Senior Contributor

Monthly Experian FICO 8 score (FREE): https://www.discover.com/free-credit-score/   -- You do not have to be a Discover cardholder, just sign up. 

All three FICO 8 scores:  $1 / 7-day Trial at  creditchecktotal.com  --   Just be sure to cancel before the trial ends.  You can do this more than once (at least, until they catch on that folks abuse this...). 

Experian.com offers a variety of FICO monitoring memberships.   The most expensive is CreditWorks premium for $24.99 (or $29.99, not sure) / month.   That gives you daily Experian reports and FICO scores with monthly updated Transunion and Equifax reports and scores.    Experian also runs creditchecktotal (mentioned above) so if you do the $1 trial, it will give you access to the Experian mobile app & website which is exactly what you'd get if you went directly through Experian.   

Some card issuers also offer monthly FICO scores -- like Citi, Amex, Discover...  -- so you should check with your card issuer to see-- just be sure to check the small print for the scoring model they are providing becuase many offer Vantage scores because they're cheap to provide.

myFICO is the most costly because it provides all 28 versions of your FICO scores, not just FICO 8.   The other versions include mortgage, auto, bankcard enhanced models,  as well as FICO 9.   

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bad Karma.

(sorry, I had to)

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@StevieK wrote:

Well, this month I had a huge surprise, my credit scores for Transunion and Equifax both dipped more than 100 points each, going from ~740 to ~625. 

The great news here is that you're referencing irrelevant scores; VS 3.0 is rarely used in lending decisions.  Let those scores drop another 100 points each and don't even think twice about it.

What matters as others have already stated is what your FICO scores are.  I'd grab those for $1 at credit check total to see where you stand.  Only focus on the reports that CK gives you and nothing more.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.