cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CU CC showing as "Closed by Consumer" on Credit Karma?

tag
martinsoka17
Contributor

CU CC showing as "Closed by Consumer" on Credit Karma?

Just for comparison I downloaded CreditKarma today and my CU CC, which has a balance of $0 as of February 1st, is showing as "closed by consumer" on TransUnion according to CK. It's most definitely NOT closed? Has anyone had this happen? It's my oldest card as well.

Starting Score: 523

Current Scores: EQ: 705 TU: 757 EX: 764

Goal Scores: 800 across the board

in the garden until 2019!
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CU CC showing as "Closed by Consumer" on Credit Karma?

Call the CU to make sure the account is open.
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@martinsoka17wrote:

Just for comparison I downloaded CreditKarma today and my CU CC, which has a balance of $0 as of February 1st, is showing as "closed by consumer" on TransUnion according to CK. It's most definitely NOT closed? Has anyone had this happen? It's my oldest card as well.

Definitely double check with your CU to make sure it is open. If it is, pull your free reports and check your other scores (FICO). If it is consistent across the board, I would submit a dispute request. Given it is a CU, they might be able to initiate that from their end.

This might seem like a silly question, but did you double check the account you are looking at is your CC and not an older product you had at some point with the same CU? Sometimes my products report seperately for each bureau and can be quite confusing in lining them all up.

Message 3 of 14
martinsoka17
Contributor

I did, and the CU confirmed that the account is still active. I asked if the secured card I had with them back in 2013 would show as closed when it switched to a regular CC, and she assured me that no, it would not.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@martinsoka17wrote:

I did, and the CU confirmed that the account is still active. I asked if the secured card I had with them back in 2013 would show as closed when it switched to a regular CC, and she assured me that no, it would not.

Can you provide some more data points on the report? For example, what is this CC showing up as? CL/data opened/closed etc and compare that to the other report on CK. If possible, provide a screenshot/snip of both reports to compare

Message 5 of 14
martinsoka17
Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

@martinsoka17wrote:

Definitely double check with your CU to make sure it is open. If it is, pull your free reports and check your other scores (FICO). If it is consistent across the board, I would submit a dispute request. Given it is a CU, they might be able to initiate that from their end.

This might seem like a silly question, but did you double check the account you are looking at is your CC and not an older product you had at some point with the same CU? Sometimes my products report seperately for each bureau and can be quite confusing in lining them all up.

It seems to only show up as closed on TU. EQ shows it open, reporting a balance of $175. Not sure about EX...

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@martinsoka17wrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

@martinsoka17wrote:

It seems to only show up as closed on TU. EQ shows it open, reporting a balance of $175. Not sure about EX...we're not on speaking terms right now after the data breach Smiley Mad

Might be worth it to subscribe to an identify theft protection service which provides updated reports. Mine does it once a month for all three. You can also order your reports for free once a year online or look into what this website offers. I would definitely check all three of them for consistentcy and not solely go off of what CK shows.

Message 7 of 14
martinsoka17
Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

@martinsoka17wrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

@martinsoka17wrote:

It seems to only show up as closed on TU. EQ shows it open, reporting a balance of $175. Not sure about EX...we're not on speaking terms right now after the data breach Smiley Mad

Might be worth it to subscribe to an identify theft protection service which provides updated reports. Mine does it once a month for all three. You can also order your reports for free once a year online or look into what this website offers. I would definitely check all three of them for consistentcy and not solely go off of what CK shows.

I recently pulled all three from annualcreditreport.com because I was in the proccess of getting approved for a new apartment. Clean and open across the board in December. I also have LifeLock, and have since the data breach. I'll probably just buy MyFico again because dang it, I've worked this hard to get where I am and I'm not going back.

Message 8 of 14
martinsoka17
Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

@martinsoka17wrote:

Can you provide some more data points on the report? For example, what is this CC showing up as? CL/data opened/closed etc and compare that to the other report on CK. If possible, provide a screenshot/snip of both reports to compare

TransUnionTransUnionTransunionTransunionEquifaxEquifax

Message 9 of 14
Miner
Frequent Contributor

Back when I had good credit, my CU would create a new account on my credit report when I would do a product change on my CC with them. The older account would show closed by consumer and the new one would keep the original accounts opened date. My current report has 3 such accounts for the same CC that I lost when everything hit the fan. Given my relationship with them went back a long ways, it never really affected my account age average as it was like opening a new 5+ year old account.

Don't know if that's the OP issue since they mention only 1 account showing. Definitely something that ypur CU should fix. Are they updating the monthly history on the report in question or is it sporadic on one or two of the three credit agencies?
Current FICO8: EQ:782, TU:754, EX:767 | 1x 30 day late 6yrs ago
AAoA: 10 years; AAoOA: 13 months; Credit Length: 21 years
INQ Eq: 3 / Tu: 5 (4 for auto) / Ex: 9 (5 for auto)
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.