cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Discover It and Chase Freedom use Uber Eats for their first quarter 2017 transporation?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can Discover It and Chase Freedom use Uber Eats for their first quarter 2017 transporation?

Both cards pay 5% for transportation spending in the first quarter of 2017 year.  Since Uber gets listed as transportation under Discover It's Discover network and Chase Freedom's Visa network, it should hypothetically get 5% for Uber Eats.  Is there any evidence or notice that mentions otherwise?  I currently do not spend a lot on gas with my Discover It card, but I would love to max out on Uber Eats for this category.  

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Can Discover It and Chase Freedom use Uber Eats for their first quarter 2017 transporation?

Worth a shot, if you've used the service in the past is there any indiciation what it's landing as?

        
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can Discover It and Chase Freedom use Uber Eats for their first quarter 2017 transporation?

I have never tried it before. Uber EATS is relatively new to me.
Message 3 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
I have never tried it before. Uber EATS is relatively new to me.

Relatively new to everyone I think as it's only been released in a few cities.  

It depends what MCC they use for this new product, and how Chase lumps that into the rest.  A classic example is Amazon: kindle purchases and Prime Membership fees never coded as bookstore for Barclays Sallie Mae.

If you try it I'd certainly enjoy knowing about it... if Uber starts pushing this it'll come to my neck of the woods someday.

        
Message 4 of 9
sjt
Senior Contributor

Sidebar: UberEats is unrealiable. Many of my friends complain that their order gets cancelled for various reasons.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've ordered UberEats 3 times so far and I've had no issues with my orders. I live in New Orleans, maybe service varies by state or restaurant but I've always received my order when they say I should.

I use my C$R to pay and it codes as travel and I received my 3 points per dollar. So just some data points that UberEats codes as travel for Chase.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've ordered from there too without any problem. I used the promotional code to get a free meal the first time. 2 days ago I used my Visa BOA travel rewards card to pay in full just to see the merchant description. I'm still waiting the transaction to be processed and see how Visa describes it. Thanks Abby2932 for helping validate this issue. My result should match yours since both cards are Visa.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The charge has finally passed the pending phase, and it does show up as "Taxicabs and Limousines" in the merchant description. If the UberEATS is reliable in your area, I recommend using it to get the 5% cash back.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

It finally went through for my Discover It card. It also has it listed as transportation too.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.