cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I dispute a hard inquiry from Macy's?

tag
justanotherusername

Can I dispute a hard inquiry from Macy's?

About a month ago, I went to a Macy's store at the local mall. When I was about to pay for the items that I wanted to buy, the clerk at the counter asked me if I wanted to apply for Macy's card. I thought sure why not. She asked for my social security number and she typed it on her computer or whatever. After a minute, she said that at that time I would not be able to get a Macy's card but I should check my mail within the next couple of weeks or so for an official approval or denial letter. Two weeks later and I receive a denial letter from Macy's due to me not having a high enough credit score. Two more weeks later, I found out that Macy's pulled a hard inquiry on my credit report, which brought my score down by 9 points (on freecreditreport.com). Will I be able to dispute the hard inquiry on my report by Macy's due to the fact that the clerk at the counter DID NOT inform me that Macy's was going to pull a hard inquiry? All she did was ask for my social number. Or was I just too dumb to give her my social security number? Thanks in advance!

(Sorry for the long post or if this question was already asked!)

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

Re: Can I dispute a hard inquiry from Macy's?

I think in this case you did give them permission to run your credit. You cant dispute a legitimate inquiry. Live and learn. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 9
justanotherusername

Oh well. It kinda sucks how they don't inform or warn you about the possibility of them pulling a hard inquiry on your credit report. I guess it's mostly my fault for not bothering to ask WHY the clerk would need my social.
Message 3 of 9
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

It's extremely rare that you can apply for any credit without a hard pull.  If you're going to assume then assume that there will be a hard pull.

Message 4 of 9
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@takeshi74 wrote:

It's extremely rare that you can apply for any credit without a hard pull.  If you're going to assume then assume that there will be a hard pull.

+1.   Expect a hard inquiry anytime you apply for a card.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 9
Kratos-TM
Frequent Contributor

Yep, I learned this one the hard way.......even though the Best Buy worker "insured" me it was a soft pull........................it was hard. Smiley Indifferent

Lesson I learned........always assume everyone is LYING when they tell you it's not a hard pull.

Myfico scores.....
EX... 805 (11-10-13)
EQ... 810 (12-02-13)
TU... 810 (12-02-13)
Message 6 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The entire purpose of FCRA 604 is to define types of permissible purposes that provide access to consumer credit reports without the need for specific consumer authorization.  Elsewise, the credit approval process would creep to a crawl.

A consumer-initiated request for credit or insurance is a clear permissiible purpose that does not require specific consumer authorization.

Message 7 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@pizzadude wrote:

@takeshi74 wrote:

+1.   Expect a hard inquiry anytime you apply for a card.

+2

The inquiry remains on your CR for 2 years.  For FICO scoring purposes, the inquiry effect only counts for 1 year.

Message 8 of 9
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

If a store clerk asks you if you want to apply for a card and you say yes and give that clerk your information, you are giving them permission to pull your credit.  The store clerk has no obligation to tell you that it will be a hard pull.  It is up to you to know that an application for credit will result in a hard pull.

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.