cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I find out how an addy was reported to a bureau?

tag
cr101
Established Contributor

Can I find out how an addy was reported to a bureau?

I'm wondering if someone who pulled my credit just mixed my info up w someone else's or if someone stole my identity. The address is a few miles from a place that I used to live.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Can I find out how an addy was reported to a bureau?

More than likely, the wrong address was from Sagestream. You can also check with ARS and Innovis. The last two are technically Credit Reporting Bureaus, but they're usually used for ID verification because of their data mining along with Sagestream. During that mining, they'll tend to pick up things like a wrong address when there's a data entry error or if in the case of new residential areas, an actual address doesn't exist yet so whatever closest address is used that actually exists at the time.

Message 2 of 7
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@cr101  might sound like a weird question, but did you have collection accounts in the past, or currently?

Message 3 of 7
cr101
Established Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

@cr101  might sound like a weird question, but did you have collection accounts in the past, or currently?

Yes. They're past the statute of limitations, but at least 1 still tries to collect.

Message 4 of 7
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Sometimes collection agencies will report weird addresses, especially if you've been dodging them for a while, you move, and in their attempts to find your new address, they sometimes report places where they think you are. 

It could be close to address of a relative,or something like that. 

Collection agency we used to use (business) was notorious for that. 

You can dispute personal info if you feel like it, just be prepared to send them copies of DL and utility bills, and I'm not sure if you want to share that info with them. 

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

You may wish to verify your address on all of your CC and financial institutions websites. I know when I last was serious with fixing my credit, I contacted the Big 3 and everything wrong with addresses and my name were either fixed or removed via a couple of letters and a phone call. Years later when I ran a handful of minor CR, I was surprised to see the same mistakes in their reports. I do know where some of the mistakes originated. It was with the CCC. 

Message 6 of 7
cr101
Established Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

Sometimes collection agencies will report weird addresses, especially if you've been dodging them for a while, you move, and in their attempts to find your new address, they sometimes report places where they think you are. 

It could be close to address of a relative,or something like that. 

Collection agency we used to use (business) was notorious for that. 

You can dispute personal info if you feel like it, just be prepared to send them copies of DL and utility bills, and I'm not sure if you want to share that info with them. 

i was thinking that maybe that was happening. maybe i misread your post, but are you saying that they could also report a completely random address? if so, what would be the point? are they hoping that i'll update it, and then they'll know that the addresses remaining are legit?

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.