cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I make a payment my girlfriend's Cap1 credit card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I make a payment my girlfriend's Cap1 credit card?

Hi all, 

Quick question- is it against policy for me to make a payment to my girlfriend's credit card? Either with a check with my name on it and her account number in the memo, or otherwise?

If allowed, what is the correct way to go about doing this?

If it's not allowed, I guess I'll just purchase a money order and send it in... but I've read a lot of people saying that money order payments are frowned upon for some reason?

Can somebody please provide some clarity?

10 REPLIES 10
Maker_Bayfield
Valued Member

Re: Can I make a payment my girlfriend's Cap1 credit card?

yes, just send a check, or better yet, make an online payment

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Maker_Bayfield wrote:

yes, just send a check, or better yet, make an online payment

oh yeah..deposit check into her account and pay it online.

assuming you have access to do that.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would love to make an online payment, I can theoretically link my own bank account to her cap1 cc account without any issues?

My worry with that is that I have my own cap1 ccards linked to my bank account. 

I'm afraid that if I link my bank account to her account as well as mine, they might see that as suspicious and give me troubles with my own account. 

You see, we don't have the same last names (obviously), so in theory, somebody could use somebody elses name/social to open more cc accounts... and I'm afraid doing this would make them suspicious of her account. 

That's the whole reason I'm considering mailing in the payment in the first place. She doesn't currently have an active checking account (long story there). 

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oops- sorry. It looks like everyone is under the impression that she has a bank account from which I could deposit money and make the payment. 

That is my fault, I should have explained more thoroughly.... but, that is not the case. 

She does not have a bank account in her name for me to make the payment from. 

Her and I just had a baby and for as long as we have been together, we have just used my bank account. I'm the one who works, she stays home and takes care of the baby. I suggested she open this ccard so she can start building credit so we can get a mortgage soon, and she simply hasn't gone to the bank to open an account. 

Message 5 of 11
Maker_Bayfield
Valued Member

you can link your bank account without any issues

Message 6 of 11
dragontears
Senior Contributor

The easiest way that puts you in the least risky position is to use your bank's bill pay, enter her account number and "push" the payments.
Yes you can put your bank info into her cap1 account and "pull" payments from your bank but if the relationship was to ever go sideways she would potentially still have access to your bank account to pay the card.
Message 7 of 11
Nomad3
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Oops- sorry. It looks like everyone is under the impression that she has a bank account from which I could deposit money and make the payment. 

That is my fault, I should have explained more thoroughly.... but, that is not the case. 

Her and I just had a baby and for as long as we have been together, we have just used my bank account. I'm the one who works, she stays home and takes care of the baby. I suggested she open this ccard so she can start building credit so we can get a mortgage soon, and she simply hasn't gone to the bank to open an account. 

Side note: you can apply for the mortgage solo, you dont have to both have good scores. If she has no income adding her to the mortgage would use her limited credit history and add zero dollars towards the debt-to-income ratios. Her limited history could potentially tank the mortgage APR.

Side note#2: if you two get married and she has no income then filing jointly would give you a much better tax return deduction compared to head of household.

Just some thoughts, kudos on helping her build credit!

I don't see them refusing a check as long as it clears, I'm not sure how linking your bank account to the card would work though I doubt it would cause any problems. Alternatively you could open a joint checking account with your same bank, that would make it easier for you to transfer to without having to wait for checks to clear

Message 8 of 11
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just one thing to keep in mind, do not apply for credit cards/product one year prior to going for a mortgage.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.