cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I negotiate reopening an account for payment??

tag
ShinyGirl
New Contributor

Can I negotiate reopening an account for payment??

Whoops! the first time!! lol

Here's what I want to do:
I applied for a Macy's card. They in turn transferred my "account" to their internal credit department and referenced a long dead account that was formerly with Robinson's-May. The information they had on that account was with my mom because my mom had used my R-M card, made charged and I made her "responsible" for the card and it's charges (even though it was under my ss#)

So...since Macy's bought R-M, when I applied for the Macy's card, they brought up all the old information in their systems. They said they'll give me a card if I pay off her old (unfinished) payments.

at first I thought, "F them!" That's actually misdirected anger at my mom though. She screwed that account and just left it. It's since fallen off my CR.

Now...I'm thinking: since that account had been open for many years before she screwed me and it went to collections, I was wondering if I can negotiate with them. I would like them to readd the account history, minus all the b.s. crap of lates/collection, in exchange for paying them.

Has anyone had any luck with doing this specifically with Macy's?? Or, for that matter, with any other creditor??

They did say, on the phone, that they would open an account for me if I paid them. The CSR in that department said I should be receiving a letter from them regarding this. Meanwhile, I will be watching my CR to ensure that they don't do a bad and re-age or re-insert that item on my CR.

If they do that, with all the bad, they will draw my ire and I'll go to the bad side with them. Right now, they're just an inquiry.

I'd like to gain that account age. And since I'm in a totally different place with my credit and it's upkeep, the account will be handled completely different and with SENSE and responsibility.

What do you all think?? Are they, Macy's, open to negotiations??

Message Edited by ShinyGirl on 02-18-2008 11:41 AM
"...what good do your words do if they can't understand you??...."
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Can I negotiate reopening an account for payment??

Hi Shiny. Did you mean to put some text in there or just the subject line? If so, just click on options and click edit to add your text.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

ShinyGirl

I did it .............but at the time it was my Burdines card (which is now Macy's).....

I don't remember my siutation but I do remember them saying that if I paid it off....they would give me the card back.....and they kept their promise.......I started with the red card and now I'm at the platinum (silver) rewards card.......I've been  a cardholder since 1998
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shinygirl,

I forgot to mention.....they updated my credit report with a new account number....the old account was removed....this was back in 1998 so I'm not sure how things work now......they have reported positive information for  the past 10 years....
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.