cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I reapply for credit?

tag
ameza818

Can I reapply for credit?

Hi. I am new to the forum and I am considering applying for Chase Freedom CC to take advantage of the $200 bonus. I previously had a bank account with Washington Mutual that ended up going to collections after Chase acquired them. It has been approximately 2 years since this has fallen off my Credit Reports. Do you think by applying for a Chase card, this will reopen any outstanding debt? 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can I reapply for credit?

@ameza818 wrote:

Hi. I am new to the forum and I am considering applying for Chase Freedom CC to take advantage of the $200 bonus. I previously had a bank account with Washington Mutual that ended up going to collections after Chase acquired them. It has been approximately 2 years since this has fallen off my Credit Reports. Do you think by applying for a Chase card, this will reopen any outstanding debt? 

It won't cause the collection to return but it's not likely Chase will approve you as they bought out Washington Mutual. Chase has a long memory and tends to blacklist those that have burned them in the past.  Down the road if you see that you are approved for the Freedom on their prequalifucation site you might get approved but that's probably years from now.  I'd look for other companies' credit cards.

Message 2 of 5
ameza818

Thanks for the info! I figured they might have a long term memory but wasnt sure. I am currently shopping for a credit card to do a balance transfer of about $2000. I currently have : Wells Fargo Visa Signature $7500, Amex Blue $14000, Capita One $750. The 0% on both Amex and Wells Fargo are set to expire at end of month. Any suggestions?

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase definitely has a long memory.  They have something on file for me from 1993.  As for bank transfers I know BoA has a card and the Cti Simplicity is a good one.  Generally if you want great information regarding credit cards you'll get a lot more answers in the credit card forum.

Message 4 of 5
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Smiley Embarassed I'm still waiting after 17 years and denied because of a card they acquired. 

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.